A welterweight bout is in the works for the UFC’s debut in Uruguay.
The promotion is targeting a matchup between surging welterweights Aleksei Kunchenko (20-0, 2-0 UFC) and Laureano Staropoli (9-1, 2-0 UFC) for UFC on ESPN+ 14 in Montevideo. A person with knowledge of the booking confirmed the targeted bout to MMA Junkie. The person asked to remain anonymous since the UFC has yet to make an official announcement.
Popular Russian social media account Red Fury MMA was the first to report the news Wednesday.
Russia’s Kunchenko has competed professionally since 2013 and has an impressive 20-fight winning streak. After he won the M-1 Challenge welterweight title in 2016, Kunchenko defended the belt four times before he signed with the UFC in 2018.
In his promotional debut at UFC Fight Night 136, Kunchenko defeated longtime UFC veteran Thiago Alves by unanimous decision. His second outing was another unanimous decision victory over former UFC title challenger Yushin Okami.
Like Kunchenko, Argentina’s Staropoli also has earned back-to-back decision wins since he signed with the promotion in 2018. The Buenos Aires-born fighter entered the national spotlight with a “Fight of the Night” decision over Hector Aldana at UFC Fight Night 140.
In his most recent bout, Staropoli picked up the biggest victory of his career when he beat Thiago Alves by unanimous decision at UFC 237.
With the additions, the latest UFC on ESPN+ 14 lineup includes:
- Valentina Shevchenko vs. Liz Carmouche
- Taila Santos vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith
- Rogerio Bontorin vs. Raulian Paiva
- Enrique Barzola vs. Bobby Moffett
- Marina Rodriguez vs. Tecia Torres
- Cyril Gane vs. Raphael Pessoa
- Veronica Macedo vs. Rachael Ostovich
- Geraldo de Freitas vs. Chris Gutierrez
- Aleksei Kunchenko vs. Laureano Staropoli
- UFC on ESPN+ 13 poster: A former champion meets an unbeaten contender
- UFC 25 video: 'Tested: The Story of the UFC Anti-Doping Program with USADA'
- No longer embarrassed by epic KO loss, Chan Sung Jung finds peace before UFC Greenville
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Aleksei Kunchenko vs. Laureano Staropoli targeted for UFC on ESPN+ 14 in Montevideo