A pair of middleweights each will look to avoid a three-fight losing skid in March.
Antonio Carlos Junior (10-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will take on Brad Tavares (17-6 MMA, 12-6 UFC) when the UFC returns to Brasilia, Brazil. Following an initial report from Combate, MMA Junkie verified with a person with knowledge of the booking that verbal agreements are in place and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
UFC Brasilia takes place March 14 at Ginasio Nilson Nelson in Brasilia, Brazil’s capital city. Broadcast plans have not yet been announced, but the event is likely to stream on ESPN+.
After an impressive run in the 185-pound division, winning five straight, Carlos Junior has suffered back-to-back losses to Ian Heinisch and, most recently Uriah Hall in September. He will look to get back on track in his home country of Brazil when he takes on Tavares.
Tavares will also look to get back to his winning ways. He hast lost two in a row at the hands of current UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya and, most recently, a first-round knockout loss to Edmen Shahbazyan in November at UFC 244.
With the addition, the current lineup includes:
- Amanda Ribas vs. Paige VanZant
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Brad Tavares
- Cynthia Calvillo says Joanna Jedrzejczyk a dream fight: 'She's always been the most dominant'
- Matchup Roundup: New UFC and Bellator fights announced in the past week (Nov. 25-Dec. 1)
- Corey Anderson vs. Jan Blachowicz in the works to headline Feb. 15 UFC event
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Brad Tavares added to UFC Brasilia in March