BOISE, Idaho – Hometown hero Veta Arteaga (5-2 MMA, 4-2 BMMA) survived early trouble on the feet against vaunted striker Denise Kielholtz (2-2 MMA, 2-1 BMMA), battling back for an incredible second-round submission.
The women’s flyweight bout took place on the Bellator 205 main card, which aired on Paramount from CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho.
Arteaga surprised early with a takedown to start the fight, but Kielholtz patiently worked her way free before long. Once back on the feet, Kielholtz flashed her fantastic striking with a few straight punches that landed clean, and Arteaga wisely moved inside to the clinch. Kielholtz eventually circled off and moved back to the center, where she again found the mark with quick strikes.
Arteaga tried to keep her movement high, but each time she settled, Kielholtz would tag her with a combination, smiling after some of the flurries. Arteaga tried to take the fight to the floor, but Kielholtz’s takedown defense was up to the task, and she was able to keep the action on the feet.
Arteaga did her best to brawl at the start of the second, but Kielholtz’s technical striking proved superior. Taking damage in the striking department, Arteaga eventually walked through a few punches to get inside and wrap the body, lifting her opponent and slamming her to the floor. Kielholtz turned to escape and briefly gave up her back but was eventually able to get to her feet and separate after a few tense moments.
Kielholtz surprised with a takedown shortly after, but it backfired. Arteaga backed to the wall and used it to rise, lacing her left had around the neck. Kielholtz was comfortable at first, but Arteaga continued latching her limb around the neck and squeezing, getting a tap for the impressive finish with 36 seconds left in the frame.
Up-to-the-minute Bellator 205 results include:
- Veta Arteaga def. Denise Kielholtz via submission (standing guillotine choke) – Round 2, 4:24
- Patricky Freire def. Roger Huerta via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:43
- Joe Aguirre vs. Stephen Stirewalt
- Bryce Edminster vs. Leon Taylor
- Kyle Frost vs. David Rangel
- Andrew Cruz vs. Nathan Stolen
- Johnny Nunez def. Josh Wick unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Vince Morales def. Justin Hugo via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-27, 29-27)
- Adam Borics def. Josenaldo Silva via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 1:46
- Steve Mowry def. Ben Moa via submission (Americana) – Round 1, 2:40
- Jarod Trice def. Sean Powers via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Emilio Trevino def. Sua Tuani via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:55
- Bellator 205's Veta Arteaga down to scrap with kickboxing champ Denise Kielholtz
- Twitter reacts to Patricky Pitbull's record-setting KO of Roger Huerta at Bellator 205
- Bellator 205 results: Patricky Freire goes to war with Roger Huerta, scores KO finish
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Bellator 205 results: Hometown hero Veta Arteaga taps out kickboxing champ Denise Kielholtz