BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – Bellator 225’s main card kicked off with a battle of undefeated heavyweights. When the dust cleared, Tyrell Fortune was the only fighter of the pair to keep a zero in the loss column.
Fortune (7-0 MMA, 7-0 BMMA) submitted Rudy Schaffroth (6-1 MMA, 2-1 BMMA) in the second round on Saturday at Webster Bank Arena.
After a successful opening few minutes from Schaffroth, Fortune began to take over the fight with leg and body kicks. On multiple occasions, Fortune’s leg kicks chopped Schaffroth, who tumbled to the mat.
In the second round, Fortune’s striking success increased on all levels. A series of Fortune strikes to the head of Schaffroth dropped the Northwest big man. When the fight hit the canvas, Fortune pounced on his fallen foe.
As he landed in a mount position, Fortune rained down a barrage of strikes. In an attempt to dodge the influx of damage, Schaffroth gave up his back. From there, Fortune was able to obtain his hooks, sink in the rear-naked choke, and pick up his first career submission at the 2:08 mark of Round 2.
With the victory, Fortune expanded his finishing streak to three. He has now finished five of his seven pro bouts. He credited training partner and dual Bellator champ Ryan Bader for the win over Schaffroth.
Complete Bellator 225 results include:
- Tyrell Fortune def. Rudy Schaffroth via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:08
- Nick Newell def. Corey Browning via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:15
- Connor Dixon def. Kastriot Xhema via submission (armbar) – Round 3, 2:08
- Jon Manley def. Thiago Rela via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 4:47
- Chris Disonell def. Mike Kimbel via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:54
- Ricky Bandejas def. Ahmet Kayretli via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:21
- Austin Vanderford def. Joseph Creer via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Sabah Homasi def. Micah Terrill via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:17
- Aviv Gozali def. Eduard Muravitskiy via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 0:11
- Khonry Gracie def. Oscar Vera via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:50
- Bellator 225 results: Nick Newell submits Corey Browning, sends message to doubters
- Javy Ayala out of Bellator 225 co-headliner; Tim Johnson steps in to fight Vitaly Minakov
- Bellator 225: After UFC skid, Sabah Homasi ready for fresh start in Bellator
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Bellator 225 results: Tyrell Fortune brutalizes, submits Rudy Schaffroth to stay unbeaten