Although there isn’t a Bellator event set to take place this weekend, two of the promotion’s champions were kind enough to make sure we didn’t leave this Friday completely empty-handed.
We’ll get to that in a minute. But first, some context.
Bantamweight champ Darrion Caldwell met Leandro Higo in Bellator 195’s headliner last Saturday and defended his belt for the first time. Perhaps still enjoying some leftover energy from the short affair, the champ quickly shifted his attention to Higo’s teammates, brothers Patricky and Patricio Freire.
Featherweight champ Patricio took Caldwell up on his offer earlier this week following a video in which Caldwell reiterated his intentions. But the 145-pound titleholder also questioned how much of his fellow champ’s desire was merely talk (via Twitter).
While it wasn’t entirely clear, it would appear that Freire already has a bout booked – but that wouldn’t get in the way of an April 28 champion vs. champion “warm-up” (via Twitter).
Seemingly aware of Freire’s existing booking, Caldwell didn’t directly respond to the April 28 idea. But, despite affirming his belief that the 145-pound champ “don’t want this work,” the 135-pound champ did imply the meeting is bound to happen eventually (via Twitter).
In a back-and-forth that featured a special appearance by lightweight brother Patricky, Patricio even threw in some Portuguese – Or “Portugal,” according to Caldwell.
Freire finished his bit of the conversation by casting doubt on whether Caldwell, whom he believes is being protected by Bellator, has any real intention of fighting him.
Our scorecard gives Freire the slight edge for sophistication. Caldwell, however, did get some extra points to his score by wrapping it up with an actual dog picture – a grey pitbull which, according to our very thoroughly conducted Instagram investigation, appears to be named “Enzo” and is very very cute.
You can check out the full thread for yourself, but here are some conclusions we were able to draw:
- Freire may or may not have another bout in the works already but would fight Caldwell on April 28 regardless.
- While Caldwell has talked about moving up to featherweight, Freire doesn’t rule out going down to bantamweight (or up to welterweight, apparently).
- Neither fighter thinks very highly of the other one’s intellectual capabilities.
- Whether Bellator will manage to put the fight together or not, they’re at least intrigued by the beef.
- When in doubt, post dog pictures. We’re always cool with dog pictures. Nobody ever loses anything by having more dog pictures on the internet.
For more on the Bellator’s upcoming schedule, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.
- Charlize Theron, Jimmy Kimmel discuss who's tougher: NASCAR drivers or UFC fighters?
- Rory MacDonald still recovering from leg injury, says Bellator has no interest in immediate Lima rematch
- C.B. Dollaway got tired of hearing Hector Lombard explain UFC 222 disqualification
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Bellator champs Darrion Caldwell, Patricio Freire have a doozy of a Twitter beef – and there's a pitbull