UFC officials today announced the matchup between Mendes (18-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Volkanovski (18-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC).
UFC 230 takes place Dec. 29 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Mendes, No. 5 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, made a successful return to the octagon in July after a more than two-year layoff due to a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) suspension. The former two-time title challenger got back in a big way, scoring a first-round TKO over Myles Jury at UFC Fight Night 133.
“Money” will attempt to get revenge in the fight after No. 7-ranked Volkanovski beat his Team Alpha Male teammate Darren Elkins at UFC Fight Night 133. The win extended Volkanovski’s streak to a remarkable 15 consecutive fights, and afterward he called out Mendes. Now he gets his wish.
With the addition to the card, UFC 232 now includes:
- Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson – for light heavyweight title
- Champ Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes – for women’s featherweight title
- Corey Anderson vs. Ilir Latifi
- Michael Chiesa vs. Carlos Condit
- Megan Anderson vs. Cat Zingano
- Tom Duquesnoy vs. Nathaniel Wood
- Ryan Hall vs. B.J. Penn
- Uriah Hall vs. Bevon Lewis
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Walt Harris
- Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Curtis Millender
- Chad Mendes vs. Alex Volkanovski
- Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones both sound like they're done with this rivalry. But are we?
- Retired Anthony Johnson considering return to MMA – at heavyweight
- UFC 230 medical suspensions: Chris Weidman gets longest term for TKO loss
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Chad Mendes vs. Alex Volkanovski joins UFC 232 lineup in Las Vegas