A pair of lightweights looking for a much-needed victory has been added to the UFC’s next event in Australia.
UFC officials recently announced that Christos Giagos (15-7 MMA, 1-3 UFC) will meet Mizuto Hirota (18-9-2 MMA, 1-4-1 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 142, which takes place Sunday, Dec. 2 at Adelaide Entertainment Centre. Due to the time change, the card airs on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass in North America on Saturday, Dec. 1.
Giagos made his UFC debut in 2014 but was released from the promotion after a three-fight stint that saw him sandwich a win over Jorge de Oliveira between losses to Chris Wade and Gilbert Burns. He returned to the octagon at September’s UFC Fight Night 137 but suffered a submission loss to Charles Oliveira.
Meanwhile, Hirota debuted in the UFC in 2013 and suffered decision losses to Rani Yahya and Rodrigo Damm before returning to Japan’s national scene. He battled his way back to the octagon as a cast member of “Road to UFC: Japan,” battling to a draw with Teruto Ishihara in the series finale at UFC Fight Night 75 and then scoring a decision win over Cole Miller. However, he’s since dropped back-to-back decisions to Alexander Volkanovski and Ross Pearson.
With the addition to the card, UFC Fight Night 142 includes:
- Junior Dos Santos vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Mark Hunt vs. Justin Willis
- Tyson Pedro vs. Mauricio Rua
- Paul Craig vs. Jim Crute
- Alexey Kunchenko vs. Yushin Okami
- Ben Nguyen vs. Wilson Reis
- Kaiwhare Kara-France vs. Ashkan Mokhtarian
- Keita Nakamura vs. Salim Touahri
- Tony Martin vs. Jake Matthews
- Suman Mokhtarian vs. Sodiq Yusuff
- Christos Giagos vs. Mizuto Hirota
- Jared Gordon on UFC on FOX 31 bout vs. Joaquim Silva: 'Nothing I've never seen before'
- 'The Ultimate Fighter 28: Heavy Hitters' Episode 10 recap
- Re-signed Louis Smolka: UFC Beijing may be only chance to revive UFC career
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Christos Giagos vs. Mizuto Hirota added to UFC Fight Night 142 in Australia