A potential No. 1 contender fight is looming in the UFC light heavyweight division.
A person with knowledge of the booking confirmed the targeted pairing to MMA Junkie following a report by ESPN on Monday. The person asked to remain anonymous since the promotion has yet to make an official announcement.
The targeted bout between the two light heavyweights will be a rematch of their UFC 191 fight from Sept. 2015. In the first meeting, Anderson earned an unanimous decision nod.
Both Anderson (13-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) and Blachowicz (25-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) are fresh off signature wins over notable opponents.
At UFC 244, Anderson derailed surging high-flyer Johnny Walker when he defeated the Brazilian by first-round TKO. With the victory, Anderson extended his winning streak to four – a list which already included Ilir Latifi, Patrick Cummins, and former UFC title challenger Glover Teixeira.
As for Blachowicz, the Polish fighter has won back-to-back fights. After knocking out Luke Rockhold at UFC 239 in July, Blachowicz spoiled Ronaldo Souza’s light heavyweight debut by split decision last month at UFC on ESPN+ 22.
With the addition, the up-to-date UFC Rio Rancho lineup now includes:
- Corey Anderson vs. Jan Blachowicz
- Montana De La Rosa vs. Mara Romero Borella
- Rogerio Bontorin vs. Ray Borg
- Champ Zhang Weili, Joanna Jedrzejczyk agree to UFC 248 title fight
- Tony Ferguson details 'unpleasant' Khabib Nurmagomedov booking, vows to make rival 'piss blood'
- UFC on ESPN 7: Make your predictions for Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Corey Anderson vs. Jan Blachowicz in the works to headline Feb. 15 UFC event