Derrick Lewis recently bought a new house and on Thursday he was putting up some curtains in his windows. He also still cuts his own grass, in case you were wondering.
Not the glamorous lifestyle you expected to hear about from one of the UFC’s most popular fighters? Don’t feel bad. Lewis is very happy right now, if for no other reason because he’s richer.
As part of booking a March 9 fight against former heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos at UFC on ESPN+ 4, Lewis told MMAjunkie Radio that he’s also signed a new contract. And while he didn’t provide details of the deal, he made it clear just how pleased he is.
“I’m feeling good about this fight, too, and I’m real happy about my contract that I just signed,” Lewis said. “And so everything is looking up. Even though I’m coming off a loss, I’m happy, I’m satisfied, and I still got that hunger in me.”
As he mentioned, Lewis is coming off a failed title bid at UFC 230, where he was submitted by champion Daniel Cormier in November. The fight was made under less-than-ideal circumstances, with Lewis accepting less than one month removed from a comeback win over Alexander Volkov at UFC 229. The grueling fight, in which Lewis was battered for almost three rounds before scoring a stunning knockout in the final seconds, earned him a 30-day medical suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission that got cleared so he could fight at UFC 230 in New York.
Lewis fought four times in 2018. And if that wasn’t enough, Lewis said two weeks after losing to Cormier, the UFC offered him a headliner against Stipe Miocic for Jan. 19 at UFC on ESPN+ 1. And this was after he expressed wanting time off after the Volkov fight but took the Cormier fight anyway.
“I guess whenever I want time off, (the UFC) really don’t hear nothing,” Lewis said. “What I say, whenever I say that, they don’t hear me.”
But the 33-year-old Lewis (21-7 MMA, 12-5 UFC), who went 3-1 last year, is ready to roll. Ahead of him is Dos Santos (20-5 MMA, 14-4 UFC), who “probably ranks No. 7 or 8” among his toughest challenges.
Seven or eight? Really? A former UFC champ?
“That don’t mean anything,” Lewis said. “That don’t mean nothing. Former champion in the UFC in the heavyweight division? That doesn’t mean anything.”
Nevertheless, given Cormier’s unknown situation and whether he defends against Brock Lesnar or vacates to chase a Jon Jones trilogy at light heavyweight before retiring, the winner of Dos Santos-Lewis stands to potentially gain in a big way.
“I never even thought about it. But if I can pull the win off, of course it would great to get another shot,” said Lewis, who begins filming a move in February. “But if not, I’m not going to be mad. I’m not going to be sad. I’m not going to be complaining. It is what it is.”
MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, Brian “Goze” Garcia and Dan Tom. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.
- Daily Debate results: Is Jon Jones vindicated after UFC 232 drug test came back clean?
- Jon Jones after clean UFC 232 drug test: 'Interested to hear the excuses of my next few victims'
- Ion Cutelaba, John Lineker forced off next week's UFC on ESPN+ 1 in Brooklyn
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Derrick Lewis: 'Everything is looking up' ahead of Junior Dos Santos clash at UFC on ESPN+ 4