Poirier (24-5 MMA, 16-4 UFC) has suffered an injury and is out of his UFC 230 lightweight fight against Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC). Poirier’s manager confirmed the news to MMAjunkie following an initial report from ESPN.com. UFC officials have not yet made a formal announcement, and it is not known if Diaz will remain on the card against a new opponent.
UFC 230 takes place Nov. 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Poirier (24-5 MMA, 16-4 UFC), No. 3 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings, was going to be fighting for the fourth time in a year. “The Diamond” has won three consecutive event headliners by knockout, stopping former UFC champ Anthony Pettis, former WSOF champ Justin Gaethje and, most recently at UFC on FOX 30, former UFC and Bellator champ Eddie Alvarez.
Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC) hasn’t competed since UFC 202 in August 2016 when he lost a second welterweight encounter against Conor McGregor by majority decision. The fight was an immediate rematch of a UFC 196 encounter in March 2016, which Diaz won with a stunning second-round submission.
Diaz and Poirier each posted on social media recently that they wanted to fight for a 165-pound title in the main event. The 165-pound division is not one that exists in the UFC, and UFC President Dana White subsequently shut down their talk of such a proposal.
Already, Diaz has suitors starting to make their names known in case he stays on the card against a new opponent, including Jorge Masvidal:
The latest UFC 230 lineup now includes:
- Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis
- Nate Diaz vs. TBA
- Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman
- David Branch vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Israel Adesanya vs. Derek Brunson
- Jack Marshman vs. Karl Roberson
- Jason Knight vs. Jordan Rinaldi
- Matt Frevola vs. Lando Vannata
- Julio Arce vs. Sheymon Moraes
- Sultan Aliev vs. Lyman Good
- Shane Burgos vs. Kurt Holobaugh
- Brian Kelleher vs. Domingo Pilarte
- Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis on for UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden
- After being pulled from UFC 230, Sijara Eubanks tells White, Maynard: 'This is my life you're playing with'
- Daniel Cormier was 3-1 favorite vs. Brock Lesnar, but 9-1 vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 230
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Dustin Poirier injured, out of UFC 230 fight vs. Nate Diaz