Next week’s UFC 220 fight card has its 12th and final fight.
UFC officials recently announced a fight between “The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2” winner Enrique Barzola (13-3-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and UFC newcomer/reigning CES MMA featherweight champion Matt Bessette (22-7 MMA, 0-0 UFC).
UFC 220 takes place Jan. 20 at TD Garden in Boston. The main card, which includes two title fights, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass. Although officials say the lineup is now complete, the bout order hasn’t been finalized on UFC.com.
With the current order, though, Barzola vs. Bessette would be part of the UFC Fight Pass prelims.
Barzola, who won “TUF: Latin America 2” is a lightweight in 2015, then returned to featherweight. With back-to-back decision wins over Chris Avila and Gabriel Benitez in his two most recent bouts, the 28-year-old Peruvian fighter is now 3-1 in the UFC.
He meets Bessette, a 33-year-old Bellator and CES MMA vet who’s won seven straight fights – all via stoppage. The childhood cancer survivor appeared he was close to finally getting a shot in the UFC, but he then suffered a knockout loss to Kurt Holobaugh at the first Dana White’s Contender Series event in July. The loss was subsequently overturned, though, after it was determined Holobaugh didn’t properly disclose IV use.
The full UFC 220 lineup includes:
- Champ Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou – for heavyweight title
- Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Volkan Oezdemir – for light heavyweight title
- Shane Burgos vs. Calvin Kattar
- Francimar Barroso vs. Gian Villante
- Thomas Almeida vs. Rob Font
- Kyle Bochniak vs. Brandon Davis
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Sabah Homasi
- Dustin Ortiz vs. Alexandre Pantoja
- Julio Arce vs. Dan Ige
- Matt Bessette vs. Enrique Barzola
- Maryna Moroz vs. Jamie Moyle
- Islam Makhachev vs. Gleison Tibau
- Daniel Cormier perplexed how anyone could think he'll lose title to Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 220
- Joe Rogan predicts Conor McGregor will be stripped of UFC lightweight title
- How fear turns UFC Fight Night 124 headliner Jeremy Stephens into a 'ferocious tiger'
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Enrique Barzola vs. newcomer Matt Bessette is UFC 220's final addition