Loma Lookboonmee will officially put Thailand on the UFC’s map.
At UFC on ESPN+ 20, Lookboonmee (3-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will become the first Thai fighter to compete in the promotion, when she takes on Alexandra Albu (3-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC).
A person with knowledge of the situation confirmed the booking with MMA Junkie after a social media post from Albu. The person asked to remain anonymous as the UFC has yet to make an official announcement.
UFC on ESPN+ 20 takes place Oct. 26 at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore. The main card will stream on ESPN+.
Lookboonmee, 23, has only four fights on her professional resume. However, when she made the jump to Invicta FC for her most recent outing in June, Lookboonmee defeated Monique Adriane Azevedo by unanimous decision. Her lone career loss came to Suwanan Boonsorn at Full Metal Dojo 16 in November 2018.
The 5-foot-1 strawweight fighter is a nine-time muay Thai champion and an International Federation of Muaythai Associations (IFMA) gold medalist. She trains out of the renowned Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand, which has served as home to dozens of UFC fighters throughout the years.
Her opponent, “Stich” Albu, will look to rebound from the first loss of her UFC career. With merely one fight’s experience, Albu was signed to the promotion in 2013. However, she did not make her debut until 16 months later when she defeated Izabela Badurek in April 2015.
In her sophomore outing in July 2017, Albu defeated Kailin Curran. Most recently, Albu was submitted by Emily Whitmire at UFC on ESPN 1 in February.
The current UFC on ESPN+ 20 lineup is as follows:
- Demian Maia vs. Ben Askren
- Michael Johnson vs. Stevie Ray
- Ciryl Gane vs. Don’Tale Mayes
- Sergei Pavlovich vs. Maurice Greene
- Jarjis Danho vs. Greg Hardy
- Frank Camacho vs. Beneil Dariush
- Ian Heinisch vs. Brad Tavares
- Alexandra Albu vs. Loma Lookboonmee
- Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza vs. Jan Blachowicz headlines UFC on ESPN+ 22
- Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson vs. Vicente Luque set for UFC 244
- Win for Dustin Poirier: Good Fight Foundation reaches goal for Uganda orphanage
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: First Thai-born fighter in UFC history, Loma Lookboonmee faces Alexandra Albu at UFC on ESPN+ 20