UFC officials today announced the bout between Maynard (13-6-1 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC) and Lentz (28-9-2 MMA, 12-6-1 UFC) via the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
UFC 229 takes place Oct. 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Maynard, 38, will return to 155 pounds after spending his past three contests in the featherweight division. He went 2-1 in the weight class but will make the jump back up to the division where he’s lost his past four. “The Bully” hasn’t earned a lightweight win since beating Clay Guida at UFC on FX 4 in June 2012.
Lentz, 34, also had a stint at featherweight after being a longtime lightweight, but he returned to the division in May 2015. He’s gone 3-3 since and is coming off a unanimous-decision loss to David Teymur at UFC Fight Night 131 in June.
With the addition, the latest UFC 229 lineup includes:
- Champ Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor – for lightweight title
- Derrick Lewis vs. Alexander Volkov
- Jussier Formiga vs. Sergio Pettis
- Dominick Reyes vs. Ovince Saint Preux
- Felice Herrig vs. Michelle Waterson
- Yana Kunitskaya vs. Lina Lansberg
- Sean O’Malley vs. Jose Quinonez
- Ryan LaFlare vs. Tony Martin
- Scott Holtzman vs. Alan Patrick
- Nik Lentz vs. Gray Maynard
- Michael Chandler would love to finish trilogy with fellow free agent Eddie Alvarez
- 'Violent Bob Ross' Luis Pena gets wish vs. 'TUF 27' winner Mike Trizano at UFC Denver
- Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2: Best photos
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Gray Maynard returns to lightweight vs. Nik Lentz at UFC 229 in Las Vegas