It’s been a solid run lately of UFC pay-per-views with two title fights scheduled, and UFC 228 will join that recent list.
The event also will be the first pay-per-view in UFC history with three women’s bouts on the main card. So UFC 228 has reasons to watch beyond the welterweight title fight atop the bill and the women’s flyweight belt on the line in the co-main event.
UFC officials recently finalized the lineup for UFC 228, which is headlined by a welterweight title fight between champion Tyron Woodley (18-3-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) and challenger Darren Till (17-0-1 MMA, 5-0-1 UFC) – who missed weight in his most recent fight, a win over two-time title challenger Stephen Thompson. The co-main event is the first title defense for women’s flyweight champion Nicco Montano (4-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who takes on former bantamweight title challenger Valentina Schevchenko (15-3 MMA, 4-2 UFC).
The 14-bout card takes place Sept. 8 at American Airlines Center in Dallas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.
Also on the main card are two other women’s bouts, both in the strawweight division. Jessica Andrade (18-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) meets former title challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz (12-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC), and inaugural champion Carla Esparza (13-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC) takes on Tatiana Suarez (6-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC). To open the pay-per-view portion, Zabit Magomedsharipov (15-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) fights Yair Rodriguez (10-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at featherweight.
The featured prelim on FX is a bantamweight bout between Cody Stamann (17-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Aljamain Sterling (15-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC). And the five-fight lineup on UFC Fight Pass includes a pair of veteran standouts: Diego Sanchez (27-11 MMA, 16-11 UFC) takes on Craig White (14-8 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at welterweight, and Jim Miller (28-12 MMA, 17-11 UFC), fighting in his 30th UFC bout (he had a no-contest not marked on his record), meets Alex White (12-4 MMA, 3-4 UFC).
The full UFC 228 lineup includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Tyron Woodley vs. Darren Till – for welterweight title
- Champ Nicco Montano vs. Valentina Shevchenko – for women’s flyweight title
- Jessica Andrade vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz
- Carla Esparza vs. Tatiana Suarez
- Zabit Magomedsharipov vs. Yair Rodriguez
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Cody Stamann vs. Aljamain Sterling
- Charles Byrd vs. Darren Stewart
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Niko Price
- John Dodson vs. Jimmie Rivera
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET*)
- Diego Sanchez vs. Craig White
- Jim Miller vs. Alex White
- Irene Aldana vs. Lucie Pudilova
- Ryan Benoit vs. Roberto Sanchez
- Frank Camacho vs. Geoff Neal
* Time may be adjusted prior to the event date.
- Twitter Mailbag: How much longer can Jon Jones' USADA limbo possibly last?
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Francis Ngannou 2 in the works for UFC Fight Night 141 in Beijing
- Donny Aaron warrant still pending, Andrea Lee says alleged incident won't affect UFC career
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Here's the official UFC 228 lineup: Will we see two titles change hands in Dallas?