The latest UFC International Fight Week is in the books, and the MMAjunkie Radio crew looked back at the action-packed weekend to discuss the highs and lows.
The latest IFW included The Ultimate Fighter 27 Finale on Friday and UFC 226 on Saturday, as well as other specialty attractions like the 2018 UFC Hall of Fame induction ceremony and some community-relations events.
As we close the book on the UFC’s annual festivities, MMAjunkie Radio hosts “Gorgeous” George Garcia, Brian “Goze” Garcia and Dan Tom – who were in Sin City for the festivities – look back at the good and bad.
“Goze,” for example, shared his favorite moment, which most fight fans probably didn’t know about. At The Ultimate Fighter 27 Finale, one fan at Pearl Theatre in Vegas wanted one simple thing: a high-five from a fighter. However, Caceres (14-11 MMA, 9-9 UFC), who earned a narrow split-decision victory over fellow featherweight Martin Bravo (11-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC), delivered something even better.
- All-around good guy Daniel Cormier (21-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) knocked out Stipe Miocic (18-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC) in UFC 226’s headliner to win the heavyweight belt and become just the second fighter in UFC history to hold two titles simultaneously. The commentary team was also on point.
- Dan Hooker (17-7 MMA, 7-3 UFC) scored a blistering win over Gilbert Burns (14-3 MMA, 6-3 MMA) – and then had a touching post-fight interview.
And the lowlights:
- Derrick Lewis (20-5 MMA, 11-3 UFC) defeated Francis Ngannou (11-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) via unanimous decision in UFC 226’s heavily anticipated co-headliner – but as the heavyweights themselves will tell you, they laid an egg of monumental proportions.
- Uriah Hall (13-9 MMA, 6-7 UFC) got starched by fast-rising middleweight contender Paulo Costa (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC), but he also arguably got snubbed of a “Fight of the Night” bonus at UFC 226 (where no “Fight of the Night” bonuses were issued)
- The unveiling of the remainder of the 2018 UFC schedule means little downtime for already-taxed fight fans.
Check out the full discussion above.
- Daily Debate results: You guys really expect Daniel Cormier to kick Brock Lesnar's butt, huh?
- In UFC 226 'Thrill and Agony,' new double champ Daniel Cormier soaks it all in
- Khalil Rountree: KO of Gokhan Saki at UFC 226 changed everything – at least for now
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Highs and lows of UFC International Fight Week: Alex Cacares saved the day for one young fan