The UFC’s official Brazilian Twitter account today announced the high-profile fight for the early summer card, which takes place May 12 at Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The event’s main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Gastelum (14-3 MMA, 9-3 UFC) vowed never to return to Brazil after a first-round TKO over ex-champ Vitor Belfort was overturned in the wake of a positive drug test. For an opportunity against “Jacare” Souza (25-5 MMA, 8-2 UFC), though, he’s apparently willing to make an exception.
A win over Souza would undoubtedly give Gastelum a stronger case for a title shot, which greatly improved after his first-round knockout of ex-champ Michael Bisping in his previous octagon performance this past November.
Originally slated to face ex-champ Anderson Silva, Gastelum took on Bisping after Silva failed an out-of-competition drug test, his second potential anti-doping violation. The win over Bisping put Gastelum back on the right foot after a submission setback against Chris Weidman last July.
Souza got back to the win column last month when he halted the streaking Derek Brunson, ending the fight with a first-round head kick. A prior loss to current champ Robert Whittaker put him on the road to redemption.
The current lineup for UFC 224 includes:
- Ronaldo Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Vitor Belfort vs. Lyoto Machida
- Nick Hein vs. Davi Ramos
- Ramazan Emeev vs. Alberto Mino
- Junior Albini vs. Aleksei Oliynyk
- Cezar Ferreira vs. Karl Roberson
- Video: Get a closer look at the man known as 'T-City' with 'UFC Rising Stars: Brian Ortega'
- Sam Alvey happy to toggle between 185 and 205 – as long as he gets a finish
- For Mike Perry, comfort of fighting at home makes him more dangerous than ever
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: 'Jacare' Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum booked for UFC 224 in Rio