The reborn PFL promotion is hitting the nation’s capital for the third event of its 2018 season.
PFL 3 takes place July 5 at Charles E. Smith Center in Washington D.C. Four bouts air on NBCSN following nine bouts that stream on Facebook, though the night’s bout order hasn’t been finalized.
As MMAjunkie recently reported, the organization (formerly WSOF) put together a 72-man roster with fighters in six different weight classes. They’ll initially fight and earn points based on their methods of victory, and the top eight qualifiers will be seeded in tournaments later this year that earn each winner a cool $1 million.
PFL 3 features welterweight and middleweight tourney hopefuls.
Shields, a 39-year-old submission specialist who turned pro nearly two decades ago, is a former Strikeforce, EliteXC, Rumble on the Rock (tournament) and Shooto champion who owns wins over some of the biggest names in the sport, including Robbie Lawler, Tyron Woodley, Dan Henderson and Paul Daley. In his most recent bout, he picked up a unanimous-decision victory over Danny Davis Jr. at a special 2017 PFL event.
He now meets Cooper, a 25-year-old who’s 14 years Shields’ junior. The Hawaiian fight-circuit veteran owns 13 stoppages (eight knockouts and five submissions) in 13 career wins since turning pro 2012. Although he’s fought for some top regional promotions, his PFL 3 headliner with Shields is his highest-profile bout yet.
In PFL 3’s co-headliner, WSOF vet Abubakar Nurmagomedov (14-1) puts his six-fight winning streak on the line against Ukrainian welterweight Pavel Kusch (22-4), who recently snapped a nine-fight winning streak with a decision loss to Hayder Hassan in the UAE.
The latest PFL 3 card includes:
- Jake Shields vs. Ray Cooper III
- Pavel Kusch vs. Abubakar Nurmagomedov
- Rick Story vs. Yuri Villefort
- Shamil Gamzatov vs. Eddie Gordon
- Paul Bradley vs. Joao Zeferino
- John Howard vs. Gasan Umalatov
- Magomed Magomedkerimov vs. Herman Terrado
- Bruno Santos vs. Sadibou Sy
- Anderson Goncalves vs. Louis Taylor
- Andre Luis Leal Lobato vs. Rex Harris
- Abusupiyan Magomedov vs. Danillo Villefort
- Bojan Velickovic vs. Jonatan Westin
- PFL tournament leans: Which tourney hopefuls are likely to win $1 million?
- U.S. Supreme Court strikes down sports gambling ban, so is MMA about to become a gambler's paradise?
- Paul Daley still done with MMA after 'boring' loss to Jon Fitch; Bellator boss wants him back
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Jake Shields vs. Ray Cooper headlines PFL 3 on July 5 in Washington D.C.