The contest served as the featured bout of Friday’s LFA 45, which aired on AXS TV from Morongo Casino Outdoor Pavilion in Cabazon, Calif.
Silva opened up the contest with several kicks from range that missed, while Barnes patiently inched close enough to land a sharp jab. After a big exchange of punches, the two moved into the clinch, where a Silva takedown was countered beautifully by Barnes, who was able to reverse as they hit the canvas and briefly hold mount. However, Silva refused to stay on the floor for long, quickly scrambling back to his feet, where both men had some success.
In the final minute of the opening round, Barnes landed a stiff right that sent Silva crashing to the floor. Sensing his opportunity to finish, Barnes rushed forward, jumping on top and looking to punch away. However, Silva gathered his wits, secured his opponent’s wrist and locked in a picture-perfect armbar. With the hold in place, Silva put pressure on the limb, and Barnes visibly grimaced before the fight was waved off with 17 seconds left in the opening round.
The win was Silva’s first since September 2016.
LFA 45 results include:
- Erick Silva def. Nick Barnes via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:43
- Ryan Lilley def. Jordan Winski via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:37
- Moses Murrietta def. Casey Ryan TKO (referee stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Blake Troop def. James Cannon via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:24
- Vince Cachero def. Carlos Puente Jr. via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:19
- Taylor Johnson def. Luc Bondole via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:36
- Kailan Hill def. Alex Thompson via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 1:18
- Starting post-UFC run, Erick Silva previews LFA 45 fight with Nick Barnes
- Donald Cerrone, Mike Perry to throw down at UFC Denver
- How you lose and bounce back in the UFC, according to Emil Meek
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: LFA 45 results: Erick Silva dropped but earns submission win in post-UFC debut