Ray Borg’s road to his octagon return has been filled with hardship, so what’s one more hiccup along the way?
Borg (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) has experienced a fight week opponent change with Kyler Phillips no longer on the card and Casey Kenney (11-1-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will step in to face the former UFC title challenger in a bantamweight bout on Saturday at UFC on ESPN 2.
UFC.com announced the change, but did not reveal a reason for Phillips’ withdrawal from the card.
UFC on ESPN 2 takes place at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. The card airs on ESPN following early prelims on ESPN+.
Borg has not seen action since October 2017 when he suffered a memorable submission loss to then-UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson at UFC 216. Since then, Borg has had six different fights fall through for a variety of reasons, including two at UFC on ESPN 2.
Moreover, Borg suffered an eye injury in the infamous Conor McGregor dolly-throwing rampage that occurred prior to UFC 223 in April and has also had to deal with his newborn son experiencing a multitude of health issues. 539 days after his previous octagon appearance, he will finally return.
Borg will welcome promotional newcomer Kenney, who fought this past Friday at LFA 62 and earned a highlight-reel knockout at LFA 62 to become the first dual-champ in company history. He makes a lightning-quick turnaround for the showdown with Borg.
The latest UFC on ESPN 2 lineup now includes:
MAIN CARD (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET)
- Edson Barboza vs. Justin Gaethje
- David Branch vs. Jack Hermansson
- Josh Emmett vs. Michael Johnson
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Michelle Waterson
- Paul Craig vs. Kennedy Nzechukwu
- Sheymon Moraes vs. Sodiq Yusuff
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 5 p.m. ET)
- Jessica Aguilar vs. Marina Rodriguez
- Desmond Green vs. Ross Pearson
- Kevin Aguilar vs. Enrique Barzola
- Kevin Holland vs. Gerald Meerschaert
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- Ray Borg vs. Casey Kenney
- Maryna Moroz vs. Sabina Mazo
- Mark De La Rosa vs. Alex Perez
- Edson Barboza believes he has more ways to win than Justin Gaethje at UFC on ESPN 2
- Ray Borg gets new opponent for UFC on ESPN 2; Kevin Holland vs. Gerald Meerschaert added
- Watch MMA Junkie Radio here (8 p.m. ET) with Dada 5000, Duke Roufus, Juan Archuleta
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: LFA double champ Casey Kenney steps in vs. Ray Borg on short notice at UFC Philadelphia