An intriguing women’s bantamweight clash has fallen through one week out.
Marion Reneau (9-5-1 MMA, 5-4-1 UFC) has been forced to withdraw from a planned bout with Irene Aldana, MMA Junkie today learned from a person familiar with the matter but not authorized to discuss it publicly.
The two were set to meet at UFC on ESPN+ 17, which takes place Sept. 21 at Mexico City Arena in Mexico.
A replacement opponent has yet to be named, and a timetable for Reneau’s return to action was not immediately available.
Hailing from Mexico, Aldana (10-5 MMA, 3-3 UFC) is currently ranked No. 14 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie MMA women’s bantamweight rankings. The striking specialist is in need of a win after dropping back-to-back outings against Yana Kunitskaya and Cat Zingano.
The UFC on ESPN+ 17 lineup currently includes:
MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Carla Esparza vs. Alexa Grasso
- Askar Askarov vs. Brandon Moreno
- Irene Aldana vs. opponent TBA
- Martin Bravo vs. Steven Peterson
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 5 p.m. ET)
- Carlos Huachin vs. Jose Quinonez
- Kyle Nelson vs. Marco Polo Reyes
- Ariane Carnelossi vs. Angela Hill
- Tyson Nam vs. Sergio Pettis
- Paul Craig vs. Vinicius Moreira
- Bethe Correia vs. Sijara Eubanks
- Marcos Mariano vs. Claudio Puelles
- Nearing 40, UFC on ESPN+ 16's Glover Teixeira still enjoys the process ahead of Nikita Krylov fight
- USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, Sept. 10: Does UFC 242's big fights mean big change?
- First Thai-born fighter in UFC history, Loma Lookboonmee faces Alexandra Albu at UFC on ESPN+ 20
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Marion Reneau out of planned bout with Irene Aldana at next week's UFC on ESPN+ 17