Just three weeks after earning a contract with a win on Dana White’s Contender Series 10, Matt Sayles has his first official UFC booking.
Sayles (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has been added to UFC 227 next month in Los Angeles in a featherweight fight against Sheymon Moraes (9-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC). The promotion announced the new booking at the opening of tonight’s DWCS 12 show in Las Vegas.
UFC 227 takes place Aug. 4 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Sayles knocked out Yazan Hajeh less than two minutes into their fight at DWCS 10 in June and was one of four contract winners at the event. He’ll make a quick turnaround to fight Moraes to open up UFC 227. His fight with Hajeh was his first in 15 months. In March 2017, he stopped Christian Aguilera in the first round at CFFC 64.
Moraes came to the UFC in late 2017 after a four-fight run in WSOF, where he challenged for the bantamweight title in 2015, but lost to Marlon Moraes. He rebounded with wins over Robbie Peralta at WSOF 26 and Luis Palomino at WSOF 31. But after a 17-month layoff, he came to the UFC and was submitted by Zabit Magomedsharipov in the third round at UFC Fight Night 122.
With the addition, the UFC 227 card now includes:
- Champ T.J. Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt – for bantamweight title
- Champ Demetrious Johnson vs. Henry Cejudo – for flyweight title
- Alexander Gustafsson vs. Volkan Oezdemir
- J.J. Aldrich vs. Polyana Viana
- Renato Moicano vs. Cub Swanson
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs. TBA
- Benito Lopez vs. Ricky Simon
- Brett Johns vs. Pedro Munhoz
- Irene Aldana vs. Bethe Correia
- Kyung Ho Kang vs. Ricardo Ramos
- Danielle Taylor vs. Weili Zhang
- Wuliji Buren vs. Bharat Kandare
- Sheymon Moraes vs. Matt Sayles
For more on UFC 227, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.
- USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings, July 10: Daniel Cormier is your new pound-for-pound No. 1
- Broadcast plans and commentators set for UFC Boise with Kevin Lee's analyst debut
- For Daniel Cormier, becoming a double-champ was easy – figuring out how to stay that way will be much harder
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Matt Sayles vs. Sheymon Moraes added to UFC 227 in Los Angeles