It’s no secret that MMA is a grueling sport. Injuries occur everywhere from the training room to the cage, and sometimes even beyond that.
Injuries can cause the best set plans to fall by the wayside, derail careers or worse. Still, though, the overwhelming majority of fighters in the sport overcome their physical setbacks and eventually find their way back to competition.
Below, MMAjunkie tracks the latest in notable MMA injuries, including the latest on a former UFC middleweight champion, a heavyweight contender and a pair of veteran names.
* * * *
- Luke Rockhold (16-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) won’t be able to return to full-contact training for at least three months after receiving treatment on a left shin injury. The former middleweight champion has been struggling to get healthy since his knockout loss to Yoel Romero at UFC 221 in February, and shared a graphic image of the staples used to close the wound on his leg.
- Merab Dvalishvili (7-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) broke his left index toe to the point it was hanging off his foot. He had it reattached and stitched up at a local hospital just outside Queens, N.Y., and is currently on crutches. The UFC bantamweight is expected to be able to return to training in a few weeks.
- Bobby Green (24-8-1 MMA, 5-3-1 UFC) underwent successful surgery on his right knee. Green has not revealed the exact nature of the damage to his knee, but the injury forced the UFC lightweight to withdraw from a scheduled bout against Clay Guida at UFC 225 earlier this month.
- Chris Curtis (18-5) suffered a broken left hand in the opening round of his third-round knockout of Sean Lally at Dana White’s Contender Series 9. The veteran welterweight said he will require surgery, and intends to retire from MMA competition after not being chosen for a UFC contract after his win.
- Curtis Blaydes (10-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) sprained his ankle and knee in his third-round knockout win over Alistair Overeem at UFC 225. His manager revealed on social media that it could take up to eight weeks before he’s back to 100 percent and won’t be able to fight until at least November, ruling him out of a rumored bout against Alexander Volkov at the September UFC Fight Night event in Moscow.
- Nadia Kassem (5-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) revealed a back injury was responsible for her withdrawal from her strawweight bout against Yan Xiaonan at UFC Fight Night 132 in Singapore this month. She did not reveal a timeline for her recovery, but hopes to return to the octagon in “good time.”
For more on the MMA schedule, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.
- WWE star Daniel Bryan gets Mike Jackson's attention with remark about beating him in UFC
- No, the Greg Hardy situation isn't about second chances or redemption – it's about money
- Dana White's Contender Series 9: Grading the winners
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: MMA Injury Report: Luke Rockhold's nasty shin update, Curtis Blaydes out until November