The fate of Conor McGregor’s fighting future will not be determined by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) next week as originally planned.
McGregor (21-4 MMA, 9-2 UFC) was expected to appear before the commission on Monday, Dec. 10, for his role in the post-fight mayhem following his UFC 229 main-event loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov (27-0 MMA, 11-0 UFC) in October. However, his legal representatives filed for a continuance in the case, which was granted.
MMAjunkie verified the change with a person with knowledge of the arrangement following an initial report from MMAFighting.com. That person requested anonymity because the commission has not verified news of the continuance.
This past week, the NSAC filed formal disciplinary complaints against McGregor and Nurmagomedov, setting the stage for their Dec. 10 hearing in Las Vegas.
The commission alleges Nurmagomedov “refused to comply” with a “valid order” from a NSAC commissioner to “disengage from the situation and walk away” during the incident. Nurmagomedov struck several people, “including, but not limited to” McGregor cornerman Dillon Danis, NSAC inspectors and UFC security personnel.
Nurmagomedov’s actions, the complaint states, make him guilty of “foul or unsportsmanlike conduct” in connection with a fight. He also is alleged to have violated Nevada state laws.
The commission alleges McGregor also refused to comply with “valid orders to return to the octagon canvas” after attempting to jump over the cage into the gallery where Nurmagomedov and Danis fought.
While McGregor “straddled” the cage, the complaint continues, he struck Nurmagomedov cornerman Abubakar Nurmagomedov, who was attempting to climb into the octagon close to him. McGregor “threw a punch at and attempted to strike” Abubakar Nurmagomedov. The two “then proceeded to throw punches while both … straddled the octagon.”
McGregor’s actions also constitute “foul or unsportsmanlike conduct” and a violation of state law.
As far as the potential punishments on the table, Nurmagomedov and McGregor are subject to NSAC bylaws that allow the commission to suspend or revoke their licenses, issue up to a lifetime ban and withhold 100 percent of their purses or $250,000, whichever is greater. They are also responsible for attorney’s fees and other punishments the commission sees fit.
The complaints also include the criminal definition of assault and battery. Bennett’s complaint asks the commission to “impose a penalty” on Nurmagomedov and McGregor, pay fees for the cost of the hearing, and other potential punishments the commission “may deem just and proper.”
Nurmagomedov and McGregor remain temporarily suspended pending the resolution of their cases and have been ordered to attend the hearing in person. The commission voted unanimously this past month to withhold half of Nurmagomedov’s $2 million purse for the brawl he set off by jumping the cage and going after Danis. NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell said he would have done the same for McGregor’s $3 million take had the extent of his actions been known on fight night.
UFC President Dana White expects the UFC stars to be suspended and has held off confirmation of any booking until the resolution of their cases. He indicated his nightmare scenario is a one-year suspension of Nurmagomedov, which he said would be “unfair.”
McGregor previously has found himself in hot water with the commission over his behavior. He was fined $150,000 for throwing a water bottle at Nate Diaz during a UFC 202 press conference before petitioning for a judicial review that resulted in a settlement agreement and reduced penalty. He subsequently was fined $25,000 and ordered to perform 25 hours of community service.
- UFC 231 main event breakdown: Masterful builders Max Holloway, Brian Ortega make for tough call
- Anthony Smith rips 'cowardly troll' Dominick Reyes for claiming he declined UFC 233 spot
- 'UFC 231 Embedded,' No. 2: 'It's not Johnny Tsunami … It's Mad Max riding the snow'
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: NSAC grants Conor McGregor continuance in UFC 229 brawl hearing