If not for Angela Lee’s corner, a new ONE Championship women’s atomweight champion might’ve been crowned Saturday.
Lee had been hit hard by a pair of 1-2 combos from Jing Nan Xiong during the fifth round of their ONE Championship 100: Part 1 headliner. But Lee recovered and responded with the biggest moment of the fight, delivering a belly-to-back suplex that restored order.
Without it, Lee might’ve been finished. Instead, the move led to control on the mat and an eventual rear-naked choke submission at the 4:48 mark of the final frame.
“Honestly that last round, I was rocked. I didn’t really know what I was doing,” Lee said. “All I could hear was my dad and my brother’s voice in my corner coaching me through that last round. That was not me. That was entirely my family and my team, and I owe it all to them for this defense right here.”
In addition to retaining her title, the victory did a couple of other things for Lee. It served to snap a two-fight losing streak at strawweight, as well as exact a measure of revenge aginst strawweight champ Xiong, who won by fifth-round TKO over Lee back in March.
Lee struggled in the early going as she was succeptible to Xiong’s striking in the first round, particularly with a left hook that kept landing. But Lee settled in as the fight progressed, controlling Xiong on the mat for most of Rounds 2 and 3. A close fourth round set up what might’ve been a deciding fifth, if not for the fight-ending sequence.
“Honestly it feels like a dream,” Lee said. “Right now I just feel like I’m dreaming still.”
Johnson shines to unanimous decision win in grand prix final
Demetrious Johnson has a new title on his resume: ONE Championship flyweight grand prix champion.
Johnson, the former long-time UFC titleholder, put on a technical clinic against Danny Kingad, en route to a unanimous decision victory.
Johnson went in with a specific gameplan of dictating the pace with grappling, and he executed it well.
“Danny Kingad is tough,” Johnson said. “I knew the grappling exchanges would be the best that I would have to finish him. I almost had him in a Kimura, but he’s tough. … He throws everything he’s got when he punches.”
Aside from a shiner under his right eye, Johnson was close to perfect all around. The tournament victory sets up a to-be-determined title fight vs. champ Adriano Moraes. But with his first year in ONE complete, Johnson is in no rush.
“Three fights in one year. I haven’t done this since 2013,” Johnson said. “I’m tired. I’m gonna go home and enjoy this.”
Lee wins lightweight tourney final on just 10 days’ notice
Champion Christian Lee wasn’t even originally in the ONE Championship lightweight grand prix. Now he’s the tournament winner.
Stepping in on just 10 days notice, Lee dominated Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev over three rounds in the tournament final. Lee, 21, accepted the bout after Eddie Alvarez was forced to withdraw because of injury.
Early on it looked like Lee would struggle as Arslanaliev was relentless with a close-range attack for the first half of Round 1. But Lee recovered nicely, and after that controlled all the exchanges and smothered Arslanaliev on the mat, nearly finishing the fight at one point.
Arslanaliev was no match for the champ.
Complete “ONE Championship 100: Century – Part 1” results include:
MAIN CARD (TNT, 11 p.m. ET)
- Champ Angela Lee def. Jing Nan Xiong via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 5, 4:48 – to retain women’s atomweight title
- Demetrious Johnson def. Danny Kingad via unanimous decision – flyweight grand prix final
- Christian Lee def. Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev via unanimous decision – lightweight grand prix final
PRELIMINARY CARD (B/R Live, 8 p.m. ET)
- Yuya Wakamatsu def. Dae Hwan Kim via unanimous decision
- Yushin Okami def. Agilan Thani via split decision
- Itsuki Hirata def. Rika Ishige via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 4:41
- Lito Adiwang def. Senzo Ikeda via TKO (injury) – Round 1, 1:57
- Chang Min Yoon def. Phoe Thaw via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:17
- Won Il Kwon def. Sunoto Peringkat via TKO – Round 1, 1:43
- Despite late entry, Christian Lee sees no illegitimacy if he wins ONE grand prix
- ONE Championship won't let typhoon hinder 'greatest martial arts event in the last 100 years'
- Bellator Europe 5 live results (5 p.m. ET)
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: ONE Championship 100, Part 1 results: Angela Lee retains; Demetrious Johnson wins tourney