Next month’s ONE Championship 96 lineup is filling out with support of the night’s lightweight title fight and promotional debut of Sage Northcutt.
Company officials recently announced that a lightweight grand prix semifinal of Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev vs. Ariel Sexton will take place on the card, as well as the return of submission ace Garry Tonon, who takes on Yoshiki Nakahara.
“ONE Championship 96: Enter the Dragon” takes place May 17 at Singapore Indoor Stadium. As with all ONE Championship events, the night’s main cards streams on B/R Live following prelims on Facebook and Twitter. However, the night’s full broadcast lineup has not yet been established.
The night’s main event sees ONE lightweight champ Shinya Aoki (43-8) put his title on the line against Christian Lee (11-3), while UFC veteran Northcutt (11-2) debuts in the company against kickboxing standout Cosmo Alexandre (7-1).
Arslanaliev (7-1) needed just 25 seconds to advance to the lightweight grand prix semifinal matchup, stopping Ev Ting via knockout this past February. Meanwhile, Sexton (13-4) scored a third-round submission over Amit Khan in the opening round of the grand prix and now stands at 5-1 in his past six contests.
Tonon (4-0) has scored all four of his victories to date via stoppage. “The Lion Killer” now gets a quick return following a first-round TKO win over Anthony Engelen on March 31. He now meets Nakahara, who made his promotional debut in February with a TKO victory and now owns a seven-fight winning streak.
Other additions include lightweights Amir Khan (11-5) vs. Iuri Lapicus (12-0), former strawweight champ Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke (10-4) vs. Litao Miao (1-1), a trilogy fight of Yoshitaka Naito (13-3) vs. Alex Silva (7-3), Meng Bo (13-5) vs. Mei Yamaguchi (19-11-1) and Richard Corminal (2-3) vs. Rahul Raju (4-4).
With the additions to the card, ONE Championship 96 now includes:
- Champ Shinya Aoki vs. Christian Lee – for lightweight title
- Cosmo Alexandre vs. Sage Northcutt
- Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev vs. Ariel Sexton – lightweight world grand prix semifinal
- Amir Khan vs. Iuri Lapicus
- Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke vs. Litao Miao
- Yoshitaka Naito vs. Alex Silva
- Yoshiki Nakahara vs. Garry Tonon
- Meng Bo vs. Mei Yamaguchi
- Richard Corminal vs. Rahul Raju
- UFC Ft. Lauderdale: Make your MMA Junkie reader predictions for Souza vs. Hermansson
- Reports: UFC veteran Rodrigo Goiano de Lima killed in Brazil after altercation with Uber driver
- Bellator 220 video: No shortage of highlights on Ilima-Lei Macfarlane's unbeaten resume
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: ONE Championship 96 additions include lightweight grand prix semifinal, return of submission ace Garry Tonon