Sam Alvey says he’s headed to the Czech Republic next month, and he picked a creative way to break the news.
Alvey (33-11 MMA, 10-6 UFC) posted a video on his Instagram account today to announce a light heavyweight fight against Gadzhimurad Antigulov (20-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC on ESPN+ 3. UFC officials have not formally announced the booking.
UFC on ESPN+ 3 takes place Feb. 23 at O2 arena in Prague. The event will be the UFC’s debut in the Czech Republic. The card will stream on ESPN+.
In the video, Alvey is heard talking to a woman, presumably his wife, about a fight booking coming in from UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard. But the gag is that while Alvey’s wife thinks he’s responding to the fight, he’s really been responding to a video game he’s been playing on his phone.
Alvey will be trying to bounce back from his first setback since moving up to the UFC’s light heavyweight division. After missing weight at middleweight in October 2017 for a short-notice loss to Ramazan Emeev, Alvey moved up to 205 pounds in 2018. There, he knocked out Marcin Prachnio and took a split call from Gian Villante before a TKO loss to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in Brazil this past September. He is 3-3 in his past six fights after a four-fight winning streak.
Antigulov is coming off what was his first loss in more than five years. This past July, he was knocked out by Ion Cutelaba at UFC on FOX 30. That snapped a 14-fight winning streak, including submission wins in his first two bouts in the UFC.
With the addition to the card, the UFC on ESPN+ 3 lineup includes:
- Jan Blachowicz vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima vs. Stefan Struve
- Liz Carmouche vs. Lucie Pudilova
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Darko Stosic
- Ramazan Emeev vs. Michel Prazeres
- Sam Alvey vs. Gadzhimurad Antigulov
- Junior Dos Santos vs. Derrick Lewis targeted as UFC on ESPN+ 4 headliner in Kansas
- The Break: Jon Jones' conundrum, Woodley vs. Usman confusion, and is T.J. Dillashaw OK?
- 19 fights on our MMA wish list for 2019
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Sam Alvey says he's fighting Gadzhimurad Antigulov at UFC on ESPN+ 3 in Prague