Alvey (32-10 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Villante (16-9 MMA, 6-6 UFC) will meet in a light heavyweight bout at UFC Fight Night 131. Long Island-based newspaper Newsday first reported the matchup, though UFC officials have not yet made a formal announcement.
UFC Fight Night 131 will take place June 1 at Adirondack Bank Center in Utica. The card is expected to air on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.
Alvey bounced back in February with a knockout win over Marcin Prachnio at UFC on FOX 28 in Florida. That fight was his move to 205 pounds after years at middleweight. In his prior fight, he lost a decision to Ramazan Emeev in Poland in a bout he took on short notice, but failed to make weight. Before that, he had won five of six fights.
After Alvey’s knockout of Prachnio, he said he wanted to fight Villante. It didn’t take the UFC’s matchmakers long to grant that wish.
Villante got back in the win column, himself, earlier this year with a split-decision win over Francimar Barroso at UFC 220 in Boston. Prior to that, he had back-to-back losses to former champion Mauricio Rua and Patrick Cummins in 2017. A win over Alvey would put him back over the .500 mark in the UFC.
With the addition, the UFC’s card in Utica now includes:
- Marlon Moraes vs. Jimmie Rivera
- Walt Harris vs. Daniel Spitz
- Jarrod Brooks vs. Hector Sandoval
- Sijara Eubanks vs. Lauren Murphy
- Gregor Gillespie vs. Vinc Pichel
- Sam Alvey vs. Gian Villante
- UFC-London main-event breakdown: Can Alexander Volkov get Fabricio Werdum to fight his fight?
- Daily Debate: Does Nick Newell deserve a long-awaited shot in the UFC?
- UFC-London headliner Fabricio Werdum: 'I feel like a company guy now'
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Sam Alvey's request granted vs. Gian Villante at UFC Fight Night 131 in Utica