After a loss at this past Saturday’s UFC 229, Sergio Pettis is making a quick turnaround – and in a different, but familiar division.
After an eight-fight flyweight stint, Pettis (17-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC) is making a return to the 135-pound division in which he started out his UFC run. He meets Rob Font (15-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at UFC on FOX 31, which takes place Dec. 15 at Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee, Wis. UFC officials recently announced the new booking.
Pettis’ coach, Duke Roufus, had already taken to social media this week to reveal the fighter’s decision to move up. He’d also said they were hoping to snag a spot in Pettis’ hometown of Milwaukee.
A featherweight bout between Dan Ige (9-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Jordan Griffin (17-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has also been added to the card, which will be headlined by a lightweight meeting between top contenders and former title challengers Kevin Lee and Al Iaquinta.
The event’s main card airs live on FOX following prelims expected to air on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Pettis’ unanimous-decision loss to flyweight contender Jussier Formiga at UFC 229 followed a big split-decision nod over multiple-time title challenger Joseph Benavidez back in June. Prior to that, Pettis had lost to current champ Joseph Benavidez, thus snapping an impressive four-fight streak. This will be his fifth time fighting in the UFC’s 135-pound division – where he went 3-1.
Font also comes off a unanimous-decision loss, to longtime 135-pound contender Raphael Assuncao. While Font hasn’t been able to win more than two straight fights since joining the UFC in 2015, his losses have been to worthy foes in Assuncao, Pedro Munhoz and John Lineker. Font has earned three post-fight bonuses in his UFC run.
Ige comes into UFC on FOX 31 on the heels of his first UFC win: a UFC 225 TKO over Mike Santiago, following a debut loss to Julio Arce. Griffin, in turn, is a Dana White’s Contender Series 15 contract winner who’ll just now be making his UFC debut.
With the additions, UFC on FOX 31 now includes:
- Kevin Lee vs. Al Iaquinta
- Jared Gordon vs. Joaquim Silva
- Dwight Grant vs. Erik Koch
- Jack Hermansson vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Bobby Green vs. Drakkar Klose
- Jessica-Rose Clark vs. Andrea Lee
- Edson Barboza vs. Dan Hooker
- Rob Font vs. Sergio Pettis
- Jordan Griffin vs. Dan Ige
- Bellator 208 pre-event facts: Cheick Kongo ties record for most Bellator/UFC fights
- Daily Debate results: Who do you think will advance to the Bellator heavyweight grand prix final?
- Khabib Nurmagomedov threatens to leave UFC after UFC 229 melee if teammate Zubaira Tukhugov is fired
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Sergio Pettis returns to bantamweight, meets Rob Font at UFC on FOX 31 in Milwaukee