UFC 220 is on the verge of getting even bigger – literally.
The expected heavyweight title fight between champion Stipe Miocic and No. 1 contender Francis Ngannou is being targeted for the event, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the UFC had yet to make its plans public.
UFC 220 takes place Jan. 20 at TD Garden in Boston and airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Since winning the belt with a victory over Fabricio Werdum in May 2016, Miocic (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) has defended the belt against Overeem and Junior Dos Santos. All three victories have come by way of stoppage – two as knockouts and the Dos Santos win via TKO. Miocic’s last five fights in total have resulted in stoppage wins.
As for Ngannou (11-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC), who started fighting professionally just four years ago, all six of his UFC wins have been stoppages – three TKOs, two knockouts and a submission.
If booked, Miocic-Ngannou would be added as the second UFC 220 title fight. Last week it was announced that Daniel Cormier will defend the light heavyweight title vs. Volkan Oezdemir on the card.
This would mark just the fourth time in UFC history that the heavyweight and light heavyweight titles would be at stake on the same card. The last time it happened was on Dec. 27, 2008, at UFC 92, where 205-pound champion Forrest Griffin lost the title to Rashad Evans via TKO, while interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was stopped for the first time in his career by Frank Mir.
The only time both undisputed titles were on the line on the same night was at UFC 44 in Sept. 2003.
It’s unclear which of the two title fights would serve as the UFC 220 main event.
With the addition, the latest UFC 220 lineup includes:
- Champ Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannouo – for heavyweight title
- Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Volkan Oezdemir – for light heavyweight title
- Islam Makhachev vs. Gleison Tibau
- Dustin Ortiz vs. Alexandre Pantoja
- Thomas Almeida vs. Rob Font
- Shane Burgos vs. Calvin Kattar
- Kyle Bochniak vs. Brandon Davis
- Joe Rogan: Francis Ngannou can recreate 'Mike Tyson days' as UFC's next big star
- Ronda Rousey, WWE finalizing details of ex-UFC champ's move to pro wrestling
- Luke Rockhold vs. Robert Whittaker? Kelvin Gastelum gets out in front to make his case
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Stipe Miocic-Francis Ngannou heavyweight title fight targeted for UFC 220