Thiago “Marreta” Santos has agreed to yet another short notice fight. This time it’s for the UFC Fight Night 137 main event against Jimi Manuwa next month in his native Brazil.
Santos (18-6 MMA, 10-5 UFC) will move up to the light heavyweight division from middleweight to replace the injured Glover Teixeira against Manuwa (17-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) in the headlining bout at UFC Fight Night 137.
MMAjunkie verified the switch with a person with knowledge of the agreement. The person requested anonymity because the UFC has yet to make an official announcement. ESPN.com first reported the news.
UFC Fight Night 137 takes place Sept. 22 at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo. The event is expected to air on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Santos, 34, will compete outside the 185-pound division for the first time in his UFC career when he steps into his first UFC headliner. The Brazilian has already fought three times in 2018 and is fresh off a unanimous-decision victory over Kevin Holland at UFC 227 this month. He said after the win that a jump to 205 pounds was of interest, and he will now get the chance to make a splash in his divisional debut.
Manuwa, 38, will hope to pull out of a sudden slump. The English knockout artist has lost his past two bouts, most recently dropping a unanimous decision to Jan Blachowicz at UFC Fight Night 127. The setback followed a knockout loss to Volkan Oezdemir in a title eliminator.
The UFC Fight Night 137 card now includes:
- Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
- Tonya Evinger vs. Ketlen Vieira
- Sam Alvey vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- Neil Magny vs. Alex Oliveira
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Elias Theodorou
- Evan Dunham vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Luis Henrique vs. Ryan Spann
- Renan Barao vs. Andre Ewell
- Sergio Moraes vs. Ben Saunders
- Thales Leites vs. Hector Lombard
- Belal Muhammad vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos
- Alex Chambers vs. Livia Renata Souza
- Cynthia Calvillo says she's facing Poliana Botelho at UFC Fight Night 140
- Bellator 204 staff picks: Who's going rogue in our most lopsided picks ever?
- Ticket seller: 'Huge appetite' for Conor McGregor's return at UFC 229
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Thiago 'Marreta' Santos replaces Glover Teixeira vs. Jimi Manuwa at UFC Sao Paulo