A total of 10 fighters on the card at the UFC’s return to Boston 12 days ago were given medical suspensions, but none were longer than 60 days.
UFC 220, which took place Jan. 20 at TD Garden in Boston, featured a pair of title fights at the top of the pay-per-view lineup following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass. The losing fighters in both title fights were given relative short suspensions.
MMAjunkie recently received a list of suspensions stemming from the event after a public records request with the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission, which oversaw the event.
In the headliner, heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic (18-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) dominated Francis Ngannou (11-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) for 25 minutes to win a lopsided unanimous decision. Ngannou was given a 30-day medical suspension by the commission.
And in the co-feature, light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier (20-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) defended his title with a second-round TKO of Volkan Oezdemir (15-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who was given a 45-day suspension.
Fighters on the card who suffered knockout or TKO losses were given suspensions of either 45 or 60 days, depending upon the severity. Most other fighters were suspended for 30 days, though the precise reasons for their medical sits were not released by the MSAC. Dan Ige (8-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC), though, was given a 45-day suspension for his unanimous decision loss to Julio Arce (14-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) to open up the prelims on FS1.
The full list of medical suspensions from UFC 220 includes:
- Francis Ngannou: Suspended 30 days.
- Volkan Oezdemir: Suspended 45 days.
- Calvin Kattar: Suspended 30 days.
- Shane Burgos: Suspended 60 days.
- Gian Villante: Suspended 30 days.
- Thomas Almeida: Suspended 45 days.
- Sabah Homasi: Suspended 60 days.
- Dan Ige: Suspended 45 days.
- Enrique Barzola: Suspended 30 days.
- Gleison Tibau: Suspended 60 days.
- MMAjunkie's 'Fight of the Month' for January: Featherweight power-punchers collide
- UFC 220 post-event facts: Stipe Miocic breaks new ground in heavyweight record books
- UFC 220 Athlete Outfitting pay: Program payout total passes $17 million
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC 220 medical suspensions: Title fight losers Ngannou, Oezdemir among those with short sits