Volkanovski (17-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) used takedowns to lead to heavy ground-and-pound against Kennedy (11-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and handed him the first loss of his pro career with a TKO with just three seconds left in the second round.
The lightweight bout was part of the preliminary card of today’s UFC 221 event at Perth Arena in Perth, Western Australia. It aired on FS1 following additional prelims on UFC Fight Pass and ahead of a main card on pay-per-view.
Kennedy dropped for a single-leg takedown 30 seconds in, but Volkanovski defended it and pushed Kennedy to the fence. But before too long, Volkanovski got Kennedy to the canvas and started working ground-and-pound against the unbeaten Canadian. Kennedy struggled to get back to his feet, but managed to recover to full guard to limit some of Volkanovski’s offense.
With 90 seconds left, Volkanovski kept after the finish with heavy punches and elbows. With 20 seconds left, Kennedy finally got back up, but it was a clear first for Volkanovski in front of his home fans.
Another Volkanovski takedown in the second had him looking to do more work right away. But the offense wasn’t nearly as prevalent on the canvas for him the way it was in the first. A second takedown had him back in charge, though.
With a minute left, Volkanovski started laying on with heavy elbows while Kennedy covered up. He briefly tried a choke, then started dropping the punches and elbows again. Kennedy was bloodied up, and with just three ticks left Marc Goddard had seen enough.
Volkanovski won for the 14th straight time, including his first four in the UFC. Kennedy lost for the first time in his pro career after a perfect 11-0 start.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 221 results include:
- Alex Volkanovski def. Jeremy Kennedy via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:57
- Jussier Formiga def. Ben Nguyen via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 1:43
- Ross Pearson def. Mizuto Hirota via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Jose Quinonez def. Teruto Ishihara via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Luke Jumeau def. Daichi Abe via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 28-27)
- UFC 221 results: Jussier Formiga chokes out Ben Nguyen after spinning backfist
- UFC 221 results: Ross Pearson snaps four-fight skid with decision over Mizuto Hirota
- GIF Parade: Working through a range of feelings when you hear Jimmy Smith on a UFC broadcast
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC 221 results: Alex Volkanovski destroys Jeremy Kennedy with second-round TKO