After a few major additions, officials salvaged March’s UFC 222 lineup, which is deep enough to include some notable names on the preliminary card.
UFC 222 takes place March 3 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and the main card airs on PPV following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
After losing planned headliner and featherweight champion Max Holloway to an injury, the card appeared in jeopardy. But a late scramble bolstered the lineup.
In addition to a headliner between women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg (19-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) and promotional newcomer Yana Kunitskaya (10-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), an opponent was even found for Holloway’s initial opponent – Frankie Edgar (22-5-1 MMA, 16-5-1 UFC). The former champ and fan favorite now meets fast-rising 145-pound contender Brian Ortega (13-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) in the co-headliner.
Rounding out the main card bantamweights Sean O’Malley (9-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) vs. Andre Soukhamthath (12-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC), former heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (26-15 MMA, 15-9 UFC) vs. Stefan Struve (28-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC), and women’s bantamweight contenders Cat Zingano (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) vs. Ketlen Vieira (9-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC).
The featured prelim is also likely to draw some interest. World-champion grappler and undefeated women’s strawweight prospect Mackenzie Dern (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) makes her promotional debut when she meets Ashley Yoder (5-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC).
However, they’re not the only notables on the prelims, which include familiar names such as Bobby Green, former title challenger John Dodson, vet Mike Pyle, bantamweight contender Bryan Caraway and others.
The full UFC 222 lineup includes:
MAIN CARD (PPV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Cris Cyborg vs. Yana Kunitskaya – for women’s featherweight title
- Frankie Edgar vs. Brian Ortega
- Sean O’Malley vs. Andre Soukhamthath
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Stefan Struve
- Ketlen Vieira vs. Cat Zingano
PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Mackenzie Dern vs. Ashley Yoder
- Beneil Dariush vs. Bobby Green
- John Dodson vs. Pedro Munhoz
- C.B. Dollaway vs. Hector Lombard
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- UFC 221 breakdown: Betting advice, possible prop bets and fantasy studs
- UFC 221 discussion thread
- UFC 221 play-by-play and live results (6:30 p.m. ET)
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC 222 lineup is official, and prelims include Dern, Green, Dodson, Pyle, Caraway