For a guy known for his standup skills, turns out Lando Vannata also knows his way around a submission or two.
After taking Marcos Mariano (6-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) down early in the opening round, Vannata (10-3-2 MMA, 2-3 UFC) softened him up with strikes on the mat before locking up the kimura to force the tap at the 4:55 mark of Round 1.
The lightweight bout served as the pay-per-view co-headliner at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia. It followed prelims on ESPN and UFC Fight Pass.
Vannata’s reputation as free-wheeling striker took a backseat to more pragmatic concerns this time, as he wasted little time getting in close on a body lock against the taller, lankier Mariano, and from there it didn’t take long for him to put the Brazilian on his back.
Once inside Mariano’s guard, Vannata went to work with punches and elbows, gradually increasing the intensity as the round wore on. After one particularly sharp elbow strike, Mariano seemed to lose some of his will, rolling to one side and allowing Vannata to press his advantage.
With time ticking down in the opening round, Vannata advanced to immobilize Mariano’s head with his legs while locking up the kimura with his hands. One quick wrench on the shoulder was all it took to force the tap, bringing an end to the bout with five seconds left in the opening round.
“I knew the submission was going to come, but I thought it would take time,” Vannata said. “(I’m) very pleased with the time that it did come through. We practiced a few different submissions in training and we had a really good game plan coming into this fight and we were ready to execute. Hands down, this has been my favorite fight trip of my whole career. Melbourne, Australia, has been absolutely amazing.”
The win for Vannata gives him his first victory since December 2016. Mariano has now lost two of his last three.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 234 results include
- Lando Vannata def. Marcos Mariano via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 4:55
- Ricky Simon def. Rani Yahya via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25)
- Montana De La Rosa def. Nadia Kassem via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 2:37
- Jim Crute def. Sam Alvey via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:49
- Devonte Smith def. “Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:53
- Shane Young def. Austin Arnett via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kai Kara-France def. Raulian Paiva via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Kyung Ho Kang def. Teruto Ishihara via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:59
- Jalin Turner def. Callan Potter via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:53
- Jonathan Martinez def. Wuliji Buren via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Twitter reacts to Lando Vannata's submission of Marcos Mariano at UFC 234
- UFC 234 results: Ricky Simon stays sharp, ends Rani Yahya's streak
- UFC 234 results: Montana De La Rosa dominates, submits Nadia Kassem
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC 234 results: Lando Vannata steamrolls Marcos Mariano for first-round submission