Abdurakhimov (19-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) took a unanimous decision from former heavyweight champion Arlovski (27-17 MMA, 16-11 UFC) wiwht a pair of 30-27 scores and a 29-28.
The heavyweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC Fight Night 136 event at Olympic Stadium in Moscow. It streamed on UFC Fight Pass.
Abdurakhimov took Arlovski off his feet early, then let him back up when he didn’t want to go to the canvas with him. The two clinched up quickly after that, but broke apart. Another takedown came for Abdurakhimov not long after and he went to work on top in Arlovski’s guard. Referee Leon Roberts warned Abdurakhimov to be busy on top, and when he wasn’t doing enough work Roberts stood them up with two minutes left in the round. And inside low kick landed for Arlovski just as Abdurakhimov threw a right, and he nearly caught Abdurakhimov with a right of his own. Arlovski landed a short right hand shortly before the horn for the second.
Arlovski landed a low knee against Abdurakhimov 45 seconds into the middle frame, but Abdurakhimov was ready to get back at it quickly. Arlovski threw a kick 30 seconds later, and Abdurakhimov caught it and punched Arlovski to th canvas. Abdurakhimov went to the mat and dropped short punches from Arlovski’s guard. Arlovski ate a few punches to get back his feet midway through the round. With 90 seconds left, Arlovski got his own takedown, but Abdurakhimov was back to his feet quickly. Arlovski got another takedown just before the end of the round.
The action slowed down in the final frame with the fight potentially hanging in the balance. Abdurakhimov caught Arlovski in the eye and Arlovski got a break. The restart came with 2:15 left, and the two clinched up quickly. After a stretch without much action, Abdurakhimov caught Arlovski with a low knee and the former champ got another break. Neither man really pulled the trigger down the stretch, though.
Abdurakhimov won for the second straight time and fourth time in five fights. Arlovski lost his second straight after a modest two-fight winning streak. He has lost seven of his past nine fights.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 136 results include:
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Andrei Arlovski via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexey Kunchenko def. Thiago Alves via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Khalid Murtazaliev def. C.B. Dollaway via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 5:00
- Petr Yan def. Jin Soo Son via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Rustam Khabilov def. Kajan Johnson via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Mairbek Taisumov def. Desmond Green via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Magomed Ankalaev def. Marcin Prachnio via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 3:09
- Jordan Johnson def. Adam Yandiev via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 0:42
- Merab Dvalishvili def. Terrion Ware via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25)
- Ramazan Emeev def. Stefan Sekulic via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)
- UFC Fight Night 136 results: Alexey Kunchenko outworks Thiago Alves, calls out 'Cowboy' Cerrone
- UFC Fight Night 136 results: Khalid Murtazaliev brutalizes C.B. Dollaway for late-stoppage TKO
- UFC Fight Night 136 results: Petr Yan's brilliant boxing slices up Jin Soo Son in 'Fight of Night' contender
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC Fight Night 136 results: Shamil Abdurakhimov gets past Andrei Arlovski