The women’s flyweight bout was part of the preliminary card of today’s UFC on ESPN+ 6 event at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. It streamed on ESPN+.
The two women began trading punches immediately at the start of the contest. Maia (16-5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) seemed to be the more relaxed fighter and getting the best of those quick exchanges, but Davis (19-9 MMA, 6-4 UFC) countered by pressing to the clinch and slowing things down against the cage. Maia eventually was able to create some space, but Davis was quick to put it back against the cage. Maia again was patient to create room and then unleashed a barrage fo big punches that clearly stunned Davis, who went briefly to the floor. Maia refused to follow, bringing the action back to the feet and looking to continue the assault. The brief timeout seemed to help Davis recover, but they went immediately back to trading punches in the pocket.
Both fighters were ready to brawl again in the second, and the punches were unleashed freely. Maia seemed to get the best of it, but Davis seized momentum by snatching on to a kick and sweeping the action to the floor, moving immediately to mount. Maia scrambled to half-guard, but Davis kept the pressure high on top, looking to isolate the right arm. Davis laced in big punches and elbows in spurts but always maintained the dominant position.
The strikes were heavy and bountiful to start the third, as well. Maia’s punches were true, but Davis countered well with kicks to the body, looking to stay outside of her opponent’s punches. The pace remained high as the round unfolded. Maia’s punches were firm, and while she briefly slipped to the floor, Davis couldn’t get on top to capitalize. Davis was the one stalking, and her kicks were effective, but Maia never seemed to slow as she delivered big punches in return. The action continued until the final bell, where Maia was awarded a hard-fought decision win, 29-28 on all three cards.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN+ 6 results include:
- Jennifer Maia def. Alexis Davis via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Randa Markos def. Angela Hill via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:24
- Chris Gutierrez def. Ryan MacDonald via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jordan Espinosa def. Eric Shelton via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- UFC Nashville results: Randa Markos scores beautiful submission win over Angela Hill
- UFC Nashville results: Chris Gutierrez kicks way past bloodied Ryan MacDonald
- UFC Nashville results: Jordan Espinosa victorious in debut, outpoints Eric Shelton
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC Nashville results: Jennifer Maia slugs way past gritty Alexis Davis