A pair of contests expected to take place at UFC 233 have instead been moved up one week to the promotion’s debut on ESPN+.
The UFC on ESPN+ 1 headliner is now UFC flyweight champion Henry Cejudo (13-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) putting his title on the line against current bantamweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw (16-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC). Additionally, a women’s flyweight matchup of Joanne Calderwood vs. Ariane Lipski has also been added to the event, which takes place Jan. 19 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Both bouts were originally expected to take place on Jan. 26 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
MMAjunkie confirmed the Cejudo-Dillashaw move with UFC officials following an initial report from ESPN, while the promotion today announced the Calderwood-Lipski move.
UFC officials are currently working on booking a different title fight to take place at UFC 233.
Dillashaw will move down 10 pounds for the first time to challenge for Cejudo’s 125-pound belt in an attempt to become the UFC’s latest simultaneous two-division champion.
Currently, Daniel Cormier is the UFC’s heavyweight and light heavyweight champion – though the 205-pound title will be stripped from him when Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson fight for the belt in the UFC 232 main event. Previously, Conor McGregor was a simultaneous featherweight and lightweight champion. He eventually was stripped of both titles for failing to defend them.
Calderwood, 31, will attempt to stay unbeaten in the UFC as a flyweight after returning to the weight class in her most recent bout. Looking to stop “JoJo,” however, will be former KSW champion Lipski, 24, who makes her UFC debut.
With the change to the card, UFC on ESPN+ 1 now includes:
- Champ Henry Cejudo vs. T.J. Dillashaw – for flyweight title
- Rachael Ostovich vs. Paige VanZant
- Geoff Neal vs. Belal Muhammad
- Ion Cutelaba vs. Glover Teixeira
- Alonzo Menifield vs. Vinicius Moreira
- Randy Brown vs. Chance Rencountre
- Joanne Calderwood vs. Ariane Lipski
- Allen Crowder vs. Greg Hardy
- Allen Crowder wonders if UFC considered Rachael Ostovich timing in Greg Hardy debut plans
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk: UFC 231 title win makes me 'GOAT of women's MMA'
- Video: UFC 231 press conference face-offs
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC on ESPN+ 1 gets Henry Cejudo vs. T.J. Dillashaw, Joanne Calderwood vs. Ariane Lipski from UFC 233