It wasn’t pretty, but Jan Blachowicz got the job done
On Saturday night, Blachowicz (25-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) spoiled the light heavyweight debut of Ronaldo Souza. In one of the least eventful UFC main events in recent memory, Blachowicz edged out a split decision over Souza (26-8 MMA, 9-5 UFC).
The fight was the UFC on ESPN+ 22 main event at Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo. The event streamed on ESPN+.
Throughout the fight, Souza attempted to push Blachowicz up against the cage and make things ugly. While he was able to control the Polish fighter at times, Souza was never able to muster up any significant offense.
Blachowicz attempted to keep the fight in the center of the cage when possible. Utilizing his point-fighting, Blachowicz stayed on the outside to avoid Souza’s attempts at pressing the action.
Midway through the fight, Blachowicz injured his left foot – which appeared to increasingly swell as the fight went on.
A monotonous, lackluster tone didn’t slip by those in attendance in Sao Paulo. Reminiscent of the UFC 214 co-main event between then-welterweight champ Tyron Woodley and then-challenger Demian Maia, hundreds of members of the crowd took out their cell phones and waived their flashlights.
When all was said and done, Blachowicz walked away with the split decision nod and afterwards called for a title shot against Jon Jones. Why? Blachowicz cited he only has three years left in his career.
It’s not probable Blachowicz will earn a title shot out of his UFC on ESPN+ 22 victory. However, he likely earned himself another marquee matchup at 205 pounds.
While UFC light heavyweight champion Jones’ next challenge hasn’t been officially announced, all signs point towards Dominick Reyes being next in line.
Also chomping at the bit, Corey Anderson punched his ticket into the conversation when he upset surging Brazilian Johnny Walker at UFC 244 in early November.
With the victory, Blachowicz has compiled back-to-back wins since being knocked out by Thiago Santos in February. Prior to UFC on ESPN+ 22, Blachowicz got back into the win column when he knocked out former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold at UFC 239 in July. Blachowicz has now won five out of his most recent six outings.
For Souza, the loss is his second in a row. His move to 205 pounds comes after dropping three of his past five fights. In April, Souza suffered an unanimous decision loss to Norway’s Jack Hermansson.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN+ 22 results include:
Jan Blachowicz def. Ronaldo Souza via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47)
- Mauricio Rua vs. Paul Craig ends in split draw (29-28, 28-29, 28-28)
- Charles Oliveira def. Jared Gordon via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:26
- Andre Muniz def. Markus Perez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Wellington Turman def. Markus Perez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- James Krause def. Sergio Moraes via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 4:19
- Ricardo Ramos def. Eduardo Garagorri via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:57
- Francisco Trinaldo def. Bobby Green via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Randy Brown def. Warlley Alves via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 1:22
- Douglas Silva de Andrade def. Renan Barao via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Ariane Lipski def. Isabella de Padua via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Tracy Cortez def. Vanessa Melo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Twitter reacts to Jan Blachowicz's lackluster win over 'Jacare' Souza at UFC on ESPN+ 22
- UFC on ESPN+ 22 results: 'Shogun' Rua, Paul Craig fight to split draw
- UFC on ESPN+ 22 results: Charles Oliveira knocks out Jared Gordon in 86 seconds
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC on ESPN+ 22 results: Jan Blachowicz edges 'Jacare' Souza for uneventful decision victory