Maycee Barber is a confident young woman.
So much so that the 21-year-old Barber, who has already stated she wants to beat Jon Jones’ record for youngest UFC champion (23), got some brushback this week, when she stated she can beat current champions Valentina Shevchenko and Zhang Weili already.
But it isn’t boasting if you you can back it up. And the unbeaten Barber (8-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) added a significant name to her list on Friday night when she ran through the previously red-hot Gillian Robertson at UFC on ESPN 6.
The time of the TKO stoppage in the flyweight main-card opener at TD Garden in Boston was 3:04 of the opening round.
“I feel great, I have a lot of respect for Gillian, she was the first person who tried to speak up and start some drama, so give it up for her, she really wanted to come out here and win the fight,” said Barber, who asked for a fight with Paige VanZant during her post-fight interview.
After a brief feeling-out process, Robertson (7-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) pulled guard. That led to a brief scramble on the ground, and a clinch along the fence.
But that’s when Barber created some space and landed big haymakers. One uncontested shot after another found the mark. Robertson briefly managed to escape, only to have Barber catch up and land precise elbows until the fight was waved off.
All three of Barber’s official UFC wins, as well as a Contender Series victory, have come via TKO. Robertson, who had won four of her five previous UFC fights, suffered her second career stoppage loss.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN 6 results include:
- Maycee Barber def. Gillian Robertson via TKO (punches and elbows — Round 1, 3:04
- Darren Stewart def. Deron Winn via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Charles Rosa def. Manny Bermudez via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:46
- Molly McCann def. Diana Belbita via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Sean Woodson def. Kyle Bochniak via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brendan Allen def. Kevin Holland via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:38
- Sean Brady def. Court McGee via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Randy Costa def. Boston Salmon by TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:15
- Tanner Boser def. Daniel Spitz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dana White: Conor McGregor 'isn't the man anymore;' Khabib Nurmagomedov is
- Mick Maynard's talent development efforts showcased at UFC on ESPN 6 in Boston
- After his debut cancellation and his strip club burned, Tanner Boser eager for fresh start at UFC on ESPN 6
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC on ESPN 6 results: Maycee Barber runs through Gillian Robertson for first-round finish