The lightweight bout was the main event of today’s UFC on FOX 29 show at Gila River Arena in Glendale, Ariz., near Phoenix. It aired on FOX following prelims on FOX and UFC Fight Pass.
With the crowd chanting his name to start the fight, Gaethje pushed forward as you’d expect, throwing out low kicks and big right hands. Poirier kept his hands high and looked to counter, landing a few clean left straights and uppercut or two. Gaethje stayed in his face, chopping at the legs and continuing to deliver the right hand. Poirier briefly slipped to the canvas but brought himself back to the feet, and the two resumed trading in the pocket.
Poirier laced together a few combinations, including a nice left to the body and a high kick that found the mark, as well. Gaethje covered, but the left side of his face was damaged early, and Poirier started to really sot down on his punches. Poirier’s uppercut found its way through the guard, and the jab continued to pepper his opponent’s face, as well. In typical fashion, Gaethje continued to move forward, and he chopped the leg at every available moment. Meanwhile, Poirier’s left hand tore away at the head and body.
Poirier pounded the body with punches and kicks in the final minute, but Gaethje wouldn’t go away, hanging on until the bell.
Despite the early damage, Gaethje was out quick in the second, looking to reverse his fortunes. Poirier responded well, sipping and countering with crisp punches and a high kick or two that found the mark. Gaethje continued to attack the leg, though Poirier needed a brief timeout following a poke to his right eye. Both men appeared energized on the restart, coming out and trading furious punches in the pocket.
Gaethje started to find his range with punches, and the leg attacks continued, but Poirier certainly didn’t back away, acing together combination and finding the most success with uppercuts and sweeping hooks. Poirier briefly attempted a takedown, but Gaethje pushed him away. On the restart, Poirier just rapid fired jabs before bringing the left behind it. Blood trickled down Gaethje’s face, but he seemed to smile as he tasted it before loading up on big punches he hoped would sway the momentum
Poirier continued to stick and move, though Gaethje tagged him following another missed takedown and ended the round with a signature rolling thunder attack that brought he crowd to a fever pitch.
Poirier was breathing deeply to start the third, and Gaethje asked the crowd for some noise, which they happily provided. The two went right back to work in close quarters, and a bit of blood began to trickle down from around Poirier’s right eye. Gaethje continued to chop the legs, and Gaethje started to reach down to grab it. Then suddenly, a Gaethje right hand landed clean, and Poirier staggered back to the cage. Visibly disorientated, Poirier tried to shake the cobwebs, and Gaethje rushed forward to deliver more punishment.
Poirier briefly held the clinch as he looked to recover before the backed out to the center and continued the brawl. An exhausted Gaethje absorbed a Poirier combination, and somehow the two men both remained standing. Poirier complained of another eye poke in the final minute, and Dean elected to take a point, much to the crowd’s dismay. Unfazed, Gaethje again asked the crowd for more volume before the cageside doctor came in to look at Poirier, ultimately allowing the fight to continue.
Though just seconds remained, the round ended with Gaethje complaining of a potential finger to the eye.
At the start of the fourth, Poirier countered a low kick with ac lean left and, and Gaethje was stunned. Sensing an opportunity to end the chaos, Poirier rushed forward and unleashed a barrage of punches that landed clean. Staggered and trying to recover, Gaethje showed the heart that has become his calling card, never falling to the floor. But after dropping to a knee from a series of unanswered blows, Gaethje was deemed unfit to continue, ending the brawl in dramatic fashion.
Poirier (23-5 MMA, 15-4 UFC) now owns a three-fight winning streak and is hoping for a shot at the UFC lightweight tile. Gaethje (18-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has suffered back-to-back defeated but once again proved high on entertainment value.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on FOX 29 results include:
- Dustin Poirier def. Justin Gaethje via TKO (punches) – Round 4, 0:33
- Alex Oliveira def. Carlos Condit via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:17
- Israel Adesanya def. Marvin Vettori via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Michelle Waterson def. Cortney Casey via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Antonio Carlos Junior def. Tim Boetsch via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:28
- Muslim Salikhov def. Ricky Rainey via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 4:12
- John Moraga def. Wilson Reis via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brad Tavares def. Krzysztof Jotko via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 2:16
- Gilbert Burns def. Dan Moret via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:59
- Lauren Mueller def. Shana Dobson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Yushin Okami def. Dhiego Lima via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Adam Wieczorek def. Arjan Bhullar via submission (omo plata) – Round 2, 1:59
- Alejandro Perez def. Matthew Lopez via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:42
- Luke Sanders def. Patrick Williams via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Twitter reacts to Dustin Poirier's 'Fight of Year' candidate TKO of Justin Gaethje at UFC on FOX 29
- UFC on FOX 29 results: Alex Oliveira chokes out rejuvenated Carlos Condit in crazy brawl
- Twitter reacts to 'Cowboy' Oliveira's wild win over Carlos Condit at UFC on FOX 29
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC on FOX 29 results: Dustin Poirier digs deep, stops Justin Gaethje in fourth round of chaotic clash