A pair of UFC veterans will square off in a welterweight fight when LFA returns to Utah next month.
Josh Burkman (28-17) is set to take on William Macario (9-4) in the LFA 66 co-main event, the promotion today announced. LFA 66 takes place May 10 at Maverik Center in West Valley City, Utah, near Salt Lake City. The main card airs on AXS TV.
“I am excited to announce that Utah MMA pioneer and longtime UFC star Josh Burkman will return to action in the co-main event of LFA 66,” LFA CEO Ed Soares stated. “Burkman made his pro debut in Utah over 16 years ago and has gone on to become one of the most successful and respected fighters in the state’s impressive combat sports history.”
Burkman went 6-12 over two tenures with the UFC. The product of Season 2 of “The Ultimate Fighter” went 5-5 in his first stint with the promotion and found himself trying to get back after a three-fight skid in 2008. After a solid run in WSOF, where he fought for the welterweight title, he returned to the UFC, but went just 1-7 and left on a five-fight skid, the last three of which were stoppage losses.
Macario went 1-3 when he was in the UFC. His lone win, in 2013, was a decision over Bobby Voelker, who recently signed with Bellator. The Brazilian fought just once in 2016, once in 2017 and once in 2018. The 2018 fight was a submission loss to Ramiz Brahimaj at LFA 47.
The LFA 66 card now includes:
- Tyler Diamond vs. Jon Neal
- Josh Burkman vs. William Macario
- Andrew Tenneson vs. Westin Wilson
- Joe Rodriguez vs. Emillio Trevino
- Bobby King vs. Fabio Serrao
- Lisa Mauldin vs. Kaytlin Neil
- Hunter Azure vs. L.J. Schulz
- B.J. Penn accused of threatening farmer with machete; police investigation ongoing
- Ben Askren: Brawling Jorge Masvidal lacks discipline, not secure in masculinity
- Hashtag Files: How Roxanne Modafferi makes social media pay off in almond butter and gift cards
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: UFC vets Josh Burkman, William Macario meet in LFA 66 co-main event