UFC's Sean O'Malley to appear before NSAC after positive test

UFC bantamweight Sean O’Malley will soon answer for a positive drug test that’s halted his MMA career.

O’Malley (10-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who previously announced he failed an out-of-competition drug test conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), will go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) on Nov. 14 for a hearing.

According to an agenda released by the commission, the hearing will be focused on a disciplinary complaint, or a proposed adjudication agreement, with the latter representing a plea deal of sorts.

O’Malley, 24, strongly denied wrongdoing and expressed confidence he would be exonerated with the facts of the case. But as a result of the positive test, he was temporarily suspended by USADA – pending the resolution of his case – and pulled from a fight with Jose Quinonez at UFC 229. Since the event was regulated by the NSAC, the state athletic commission also has the ability to discipline the young MMA star.

In October, O’Malley told ESPN.com he had tested positive for ostarine, a banned selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) that’s turned up in several cases involving UFC fighters and tainted supplements. Former UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett challenged his suspension and received only a verbal warning after going to arbitration against USADA.

O’Malley most recently appeared in the octagon in March at UFC 222, where he gutted out a serious ankle injury to outpoint Andre Soukhamthath. It was his second straight win after a star turn on Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series, and it extended his undefeated record to 10-0.

In October, O’Malley said he would use his temporary suspension to get healthy, undergoing hip surgery to repair a nagging problem.

For more on the UFC schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie

Read the full article here: UFC's Sean O'Malley to appear before NSAC after positive test