Saturday’s Victory FC 60 was light on stoppages, but one of the rare ones also nabbed “Performance of the Night” honors.
Victory FC 60, which was held in conjunction with Hoosier Fight Club, took place at The Venue at Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Ind., and it streamed on UFC Fight Pass.
In the middleweight main event, Andrew Kapel (12-6) nearly secured a late-fight triangle choke but ultimately settled for a unanimous-decision victory over Kevin Nowaczyk (19-4). Here’s that choke (via Twitter):
Although the decision likely could have gone either way, Kapel probably helped sway the scorecards by opening some cuts on his opponent’s face in the third round, which likely to stuck in the mind of the judges. Kapel, who had posted stoppages in his first 11 career victories, went to a decision for the first time and now moves to 4-1 over his past five fights.
In the heavyweight co-main event, Don’Tale Mayes (4-2) cruised to a unanimous-decision victory over Mohammed Usman (3-1), the younger brother vet of UFC vet Kamaru Usman. The sometimes-plodding affair resulted in 30-27 scores across the board.
While the 10-fight card produced just two finishes, welterweight Josh Streacker (5-1) made his a memorable one and scored a comeback to defeat J.P. Saint Louis (1-2) via second-round knockout with a barrage of punches. It earned “Performance of the Night” honors (via YouTube):
Check out the video above as Sean Wheelock and Eddie Wineland recap the event.
Full Victory FC 60 results included:
- Andrew Kapel def. Kevin Nowaczyk via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)
- Don’Tale Mayes def. Mohammed Usman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jose Mariscal def. Pat Sabatini via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Bobby Moffett def. Enrique Gonzalez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Josh Streacker def. J.P. Saint Louis via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 3:41
- Zach Fears def. Tim Cho via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Brian Peterson def. Oscar Kush via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Oscar Askar def. Jesse Parker via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:32
- Muhammad Abdullah def. John Troyer via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 30-26)
- Oscar Hernandez vs. Kanat Tassybay declared majority draw (29-27, 28-28, 28-28)
- UFC on FOX 29 Athlete Outfitting Policy pay: Program total passes $18.5 million
- Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on FOX 29 with The Band, Cash, James Brown
- UFC on FOX 29's Justin Gaethje: No regrets, and five fights left
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Victory FC 60 highlights: Kapel edges Nowaczyk; Streacker nabs 'Performance of the Night'