A welterweight bout is the latest addition to the UFC 224 lineup in Brazil in May.
Warlley Alves (11-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) will fight in his home country when he takes on Sultan Aliev (14-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC). UFC officials announced the bout today during a news conference for the event in Brazil.
UFC 224 will take place May 12 at Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The main card will air on pay-per-view following preilms on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Alves got back in the win column in Poland this past October with a unanimous decision win over Salim Touahri. Touahri took that fight on short notice after Jim Wallhead pulled out with an injury a week before the fight.
Alves started his career a perfect 10-0, including the middleweight crown of Season 3 of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” After that nearly four years ago, he had wins over Alan Jouban, Nordine Taleb and Colby Covington in his return to welterweight. But at UFC 198 nearly two years ago, he lost a decision to Bryan Barberena, and his follow-up was a decision loss to Kamaru Usman – the first two setbacks of his career.
Aliev will return to the cage for the first time in what what will about a year and a half. He is coming off a split-decision win over Bojan Velickovic at UFC on FOX 22, but that was in December 2016. He was set to return to action in December at UFC on FOX 26, but a visa issue kept him from getting to Canada.
Prior to his win over Velickovic, Aliev dropped his promotional debut with a first-round knockout at the hands of Kenny Robertson in Sweden. That setback snapped a four-fight winning streak for the Russian, who also is a two-fight Bellator veteran.
With the addition, the latest UFC 224 card includes:
- Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington
- Vitor Belfort vs. Lyoto Machida
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Cezar Ferreira vs. Karl Roberson
- Nick Hein vs. Davi Ramos
- Ramazan Emeev vs. Alberto Mina
- Junior Albini vs. Aleksei Oliynyk
- Jack Hermansson vs. Thales Leites
- Brian Kelleher vs. John Lineker
- Amanda Cooper vs. Mackenzie Dern
- Sultan Aliev vs. Warlley Alves
- For Francis Ngannou, calling out Brock Lesnar is about proving critics wrong
- Dream team: Joe Rogan, Jimmy Smith, Jon Anik get commentary lineup debut at UFC 223
- Darren Stewart vs. Eric Spicely headed to UFC Fight Night 130 in Liverpool
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Warlley Alves set to meet Sultan Aliev at UFC 224 in Rio de Janeiro