Romero (13-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) announced the middleweight title fight against Whittaker (19-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC), which had been previously reported by ESPN.com and BJPenn.com, on today’s edition of the “JRE MMA Show” podcast with UFC commentator Joe Rogan.
Despite missing weight prior to his knockout of Luke Rockhold at UFC 221 in February, UFC officials said Romero would still be in line to next fight middleweight champion Whittaker.
The pair first squared off at UFC 213 in July, with Whittaker winning a unanimous decision to claim the then-interim belt. He’s since been promoted to undisputed champion, and he was supposed to defend against Rockhold in his native Australia at UFC 221. However, Whittaker was forced to withdraw from the February card due to a bevy of health issues.
That opened the door for Romero to step in as a replacement. He botched his weight cut and came in nearly three pounds over the contracted limit, but after Rockhold accepted the fight, Romero put on a dazzling performance that ended with fight-ending strikes in the third round.
The finish set Romero up to be the next challenger to Whittaker, and according “The Solider of God” on today’s edition of the “JRE MMA Show” podcast, the rematch is set for UFC 225, which takes place June 9 at United Center in Chicago. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass, though the full lineup and bout order haven’t been finalized.
UFC officials haven’t made a formal announcement of the title rematch, which is expected to headline the card.
The latest UFC 225 card includes:
- Champ Robert Whittaker vs. Yoel Romero – for middleweight title
- Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha
- Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Alistair Overeem
- Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith
- Rashad Coulter vs. Allen Crowder
- CM Punk vs. TBA
- CM Punk claims he'll return to octagon at UFC 225 in Chicago
- Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Joseph Duffy, Curtis Blaydes and Mike Swick
- Rashad Evans moving back to 205, meets Anthony Smith at UFC 225
Source: USA Today – MMA Junkie
Read the full article here: Yoel Romero: Robert Whittaker title rematch set for UFC 225